2. Brake Calliper
Quite often, I was asked why we need to service the calliper when there is no leak or even the pedal feels fine.

Well, first of all, you don’t want to wait until you find the leakage. You can stop the car with engine failure but it will be a different story for a brake failure.

Even if the seal at the piston was fine, any rust on the piston will allow the small leakage and quite often, you won’t notice it unless you overhaul the calliper as you can’t see the rust from outside and the initial leakage would be trapped by the dust boot.

Rust can cause piston to seize and as our Front calliper has dual pistons, you won’t be able to tell the difference from the pedal feeling unless you know the original stopping power of our NSX from Day1.

So, started the overhaul and found this….
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FrontLeftBootLarge.JPG 
Views:	325 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	6262 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FrontLeftBootSmall.JPG 
Views:	319 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	6263 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FrontLeftPistons.JPG 
Views:	342 
Size:	152.8 KB 
ID:	6264
Unfortunately, the person worked on this NSX didn’t check the installation of the dust boots.
On both Front Left and Right, the dust boots were not installed properly causing the rust on the piston sleeve.

Name:	FRcalliperRusted.JPG 
Views:	325 
Size:	179.6 KB 
ID:	6261
There was no leakage but enough damage was done and the pistons didn’t slide smoothly. As the rust was so deep into the pistons, I had to replace them.

Also, the rust managed to get to the thread of bleeder plug so I normally just replace them as a standard procdedure.

Name:	BleederPlug.JPG 
Views:	322 
Size:	109.0 KB 
ID:	6265