Thread: NSX Health Check Service

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Hi, Sudesh.
    Thank you for the follow up. I didn’t even know Prime had such a nice photo.

Hi, nobby.
    As in my post, unless you over-revved the engine, you are very unlikely needing to replace the oil pump during your ownership. I know there are lots of NSX in Japan with their original oil pump still being used and running happily. I knew some of the NSX covered more than 300k miles with their original pump.
    I covered over 127k miles in 16 years on my NSX and I replaced my oil pump just once at very early stage for R&D purpose and still running it without any issues.

The only parts at the oil pump that I can think of is the oil seal.
    As goldnsx suggested, I heard that people replaces this seal at the time of TB service but in Japan, it is very rare and thus, I have never done it. I have one spare just in case.

So, if you are just driving on the street using the high rpm upto 8,000rpm, you are fine. Car manufactures have their own endurance test cycle and you’ll never know how they carry it out and how extensively they do this unless you are very close to the actual dyno and the test facility setup.

The problem was, during early 90’s, there were several aftermarket ECUs claiming that they can increase the rev limit higher than 8,000rpm without knowing the engine spec and other parts used inside/outside of the engine. They just wanted the easy quick profits.

So, some of the owners bought this expensive ECU and used a few 100’s extra rpm frequently believing that they gained something and eventually, bang, the oil pump cracked.

The other time when the oil pump could get damaged is the over-rev by the missed downshift.

If you are just driving on the street using high rpm and hit the rev limit, the ECU will cut the fuel and thus, rpm will drop.
    I have never tried hitting the rev limit continuously so can’t comment on this but I presume, it won’t be good for the engine and other parts.

Unfortunately, for the missed downshift, the ECU fuel cut won’t save you…. The gear ratio and the speed will force the engine rpm to where you don’t want to be.

So, although I don’t know the history of your NSX, the way you drive your NSX, how often you track your NSX, number of missed downshift, etc, it sounded like you don't need to worry too much from what you wrote but as always, the final decision maker will be the owner.

Kaz

Thumbs up

thank you kaz for clearing this up ... welcome relief for sure! I spoke to Sudesh briefly about it yesterday, and he thought i/my car was Ok but just wanted to make sure after your post that i was fine

Kaz, i am enjoying the NSX so enjoying the VTEC range however I am not over-reving ... i change when i hit the 8k rpm mark. This is not done on a daily basis, its just that i am enjoying my new ownership with the car. i do not intend to do this type of driving throughout course of ownership. I had an ATR before and like everything else you settle down after a bit

I have an extensive service history with the car so will review past receipts to see if anything has been done in this area. but as for history of the car in terms of ownership i have no idea how it has been treated etc.

I don't plan to track the car albeit i am heading to Nurburg as part of my summer hols so i plan to go round the ring but i dont plan to do timed laps or anything so will take it reasonably handy round here. dont plan to do anymore than 4-5 laps anyway.

As for missed down shifts i have never had this problem, long may it continue, but defo something i will ensure that this does not happen longer term.

Thank you for clarifying these issues with the pump, Sudesh thought it should not be so much of an issue for me, but as he refers to you as 'the master' ... thought i would still get your advice

I will now try to reduce my concern (use this term loosely more just a big question mark) around this area

many thanks for clearing this up for me

regards

andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz-kzukNA1 View Post
    Hi, Sudesh.
    Thank you for the follow up. I didn’t even know Prime had such a nice photo.

Hi, nobby.
    As in my post, unless you over-revved the engine, you are very unlikely needing to replace the oil pump during your ownership. I know there are lots of NSX in Japan with their original oil pump still being used and running happily. I knew some of the NSX covered more than 300k miles with their original pump.
    I covered over 127k miles in 16 years on my NSX and I replaced my oil pump just once at very early stage for R&D purpose and still running it without any issues.

The only parts at the oil pump that I can think of is the oil seal.
    As goldnsx suggested, I heard that people replaces this seal at the time of TB service but in Japan, it is very rare and thus, I have never done it. I have one spare just in case.

So, if you are just driving on the street using the high rpm upto 8,000rpm, you are fine. Car manufactures have their own endurance test cycle and you’ll never know how they carry it out and how extensively they do this unless you are very close to the actual dyno and the test facility setup.

The problem was, during early 90’s, there were several aftermarket ECUs claiming that they can increase the rev limit higher than 8,000rpm without knowing the engine spec and other parts used inside/outside of the engine. They just wanted the easy quick profits.

So, some of the owners bought this expensive ECU and used a few 100’s extra rpm frequently believing that they gained something and eventually, bang, the oil pump cracked.

The other time when the oil pump could get damaged is the over-rev by the missed downshift.

If you are just driving on the street using high rpm and hit the rev limit, the ECU will cut the fuel and thus, rpm will drop.
    I have never tried hitting the rev limit continuously so can’t comment on this but I presume, it won’t be good for the engine and other parts.

Unfortunately, for the missed downshift, the ECU fuel cut won’t save you…. The gear ratio and the speed will force the engine rpm to where you don’t want to be.

So, although I don’t know the history of your NSX, the way you drive your NSX, how often you track your NSX, number of missed downshift, etc, it sounded like you don't need to worry too much from what you wrote but as always, the final decision maker will be the owner.

Kaz
    Last edited by nobby; 19-07-2010 at 01:13 PM.
    "The value of life can be measured by how many times you soul has been deeply stirred" - Soichiro Honda