Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: HELP! What have I done to my baby?

If anyone knows the size of the special tool, I have one for the S2000 pulley removal that was made for the supercharger install.
    ****1997 3.2 Orange / Black SOLD****

Previously driven by.........

Jeremy Clarkson, Tim Harvey, Richard Burns (RIP), Jason Plato, Harvey Postlethwaite (RIP), Manfred Wollgarten, Dirk Schoysman, Barrie Williams.

Nurburgring lap time 8:38 - Honda NSX (sport auto, 08/97)

Quote Originally Posted by markc View Post
    You certainly could change the pulley/harmonic balancer without changing the timing belt but for the price of the belt you might as well do it while you got everything removed and loosend off. Same goes for the water pump... "while you're down there" style
    One small note here: It's not necessary to do all the rest while you're in there if the TB job is not due. A new pulley or the shield can be swapped out within 1 hour whereas changing the rest adds xx hours or xxxx £££. The prices of the parts (TB) is neglectable to the hours spent to change it which best means pulling the engine! We did this two times ourselves and have feedbacks of people doing it without pulling the engine that next time they're pulling it also as you nearly can't work reasonably on the engine if it's installed.

My pump and TB were changed 1.5 years ago so would rather not change unless totally necessary. Going to order one of the shields from SOS, good insurance policy.

Maybe I am being stupid but can someone explain how the sheild thing works exactly. Unfortunately I don't have time to get one now as I need the car back asap but I am interested to know.
    Formula Red and Black 3.0 manual

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by NSXGB View Post
    My pump and TB were changed 1.5 years ago so would rather not change unless totally necessary. Going to order one of the shields from SOS, good insurance policy.
    This is the situation I'm in. If I have understood correctly this means a new pulley and/or shield fitting would be around an hours work at a dealer?

Is this correct?
    1991 Manual NSX Red/Black
    1992 Mazda Eunos Roadster V-Spec Black/Tan

I feel a shield group-buy coming on!

At least the shipping should be relatively cheap (compared to bonnets & engine covers)!
    2001 3.2 Circuit Blue Coupe with pop-ups!

"If you want to argue that The Best Car in the World is a supercar, go ahead. But there is only one that makes the grade. Only one that's built properly.
    Gordon Murray knows.
    Rowan Atkinson knows.
    It's the Honda NSX."
    (J. Clarkson)

Quote Originally Posted by sassthathoopie View Post
    This is the situation I'm in. If I have understood correctly this means a new pulley and/or shield fitting would be around an hours work at a dealer?

Is this correct?
    Yes. Remind that the dealer has to have the right tool for it. Most of the dealers have the 50 mm one which is used on Legends but mine (91) had 45 mm.

@mart155: The shield adds two aspects. First: If the HBP comes loose it protects the plastic TB cover. Of course, you can't drive xxxxx miles with it. Second: The sound is more clearly that something is wrong with the car as metal bangs on metal instead of metal on plastic.
    For a normal driver the shield alone is sufficient. Maniac owners may change the pulley as well. I did mine after 18 years and 120Tkm but I'm over maniac on my car anyway.

Last but not least: I've one shield for sale if someone needs one very fast but please remind that I'm in Switzerland.

Quote Originally Posted by sassthathoopie View Post

Is this correct?
    I interpret it as, pulley/harmonic balancer takes about an hour. Shield fitting considerable less than this, 20mins(?) if doing it on it's own, maybe an extra 5mins if doing at the same time as a new pulley. Therefore total time for pulley and shield 1hr 5mins.

Cheers

Mark
    Last edited by markc; 08-04-2009 at 03:29 PM. Reason: typo

So are there two types of harmonic balancers from what has been said above?
    As I understand it a cheaper one from a Legend maybe? Then a more expensive one probably the same but with an "I saw you coming" NSX price tag?
    What is the difference?

As for the labor it's the same as you have to remove the pulley to install the shield. Removing the pulley is a two-people job and 'hardcore' even then.

I don't know if the Legend pulley is the same. I strongly think that it's not. The pulley drives the A/C comp. and alternator. On some NSX's the pulley is 45 on some 50 mm but I don't know which one. I was only told that some early engines had one of these and all later ones the other. Legend is 50 mm for sure.
    Regarding the part no. of a US pulley it was revised at least two times. I bought one of the latest versions last year and there was no sign of difference to the old one.
    Last edited by goldnsx; 08-04-2009 at 05:33 PM.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast