Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: HELP! What have I done to my baby?

Quote Originally Posted by mart155 View Post
    I had suspected that it was a timing issue and AR was bang on when he suggested the timing belt might have sliped.
    Sorry to hear about this mate but the smoke and rough running gave me the clue. I drove a car that sounded a bit funny and the belt was not on right.

Is the Harmonic balancer/crankshaft pulley the OEM one?Could you tell us how many miles the car has.

Here is hoping that is only those bits that need changing.

AR

Hi Martin,

Like others here I hope it is no more than the parts already identified to get you NSX back on the road.

Just a thought, if it turns out to be significantly more, it may be worth an engine swap as a more cost effective solution. There are a couple of units around with owners that may be able to help. Hopefuly it wont come to this.

regards, Paul
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

That's unlucky Martin, I too hope there's not too much collateral damage like bent valves and/or damaged pistons

That damper shield looks like good insurance but I can feel/hear the Harmonic Balancer Group Buy as I type. I for one will be having a new one fitted at the next cambelt change.

Good luck with the repair.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by AR View Post
    Sorry to hear about this mate but the smoke and rough running gave me the clue. I drove a car that sounded a bit funny and the belt was not on right.

Is the Harmonic balancer/crankshaft pulley the OEM one?Could you tell us how many miles the car has.

Here is hoping that is only those bits that need changing.

AR
    AR, Odometer is showing 78968 but the first 59k were in kilometers so that equates to 56631 miles overall.

I am really hoping that there is no further damage and have assumed that if I had bent a valve or two or smashed a hole in one of my pistons the engine would not have run at all or at least without a lot of horible metal on metal noise or some other severe symptoms.

Brian at Norton Way said he had only ever seen this happen once before and it completely destroyed the engine.

Having thought about things overnight, I phoned them again this morning and asked them to check the water pump while they were at it. They confirmed that is did feel a bit stiff so I have asked them to change that as well while they are there.
    Formula Red and Black 3.0 manual

goldnsx Guest

There has been a discussion on prime on the longlivity and the reasons of the failure of a harm. bal. pulley. There's no correlation, it can go anytime if the engine is older. Now, what is 'older'? My friend ones failed 1 month after a complete TB job. Note, you can do anything wrong during this job. His engine had 40k km..
    Get the shield for sure. If you're meniac you can buy the expensive! pulley also.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WhyOne? View Post
    Is this also known as a Timing Belt Tensioner or is it a different part altogether? ............
    Timing belt tensioner is #9&10 in the 1st drawing. The Crank Pulley is #6 in the 2nd one. Also the photo of pulley from above the right side of engine.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TbeltTensioner.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	5173 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CrankPulley02.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	5175 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CrankPulley01.JPG 
Views:	203 
Size:	116.8 KB 
ID:	5174

You'll need a tool like this one to remove the super-tight crank pully bolt. The size of HEX is different between MT and AT. 45mm for the MT and 50mm for the AT. If I remember correctly, at one point, both MT and AT were using the same pulley on Non-JDM model (Acura??) so be careful. You can easily measure the size by removing the rear right wheel. To check whether you have issue or not, look for the scrach mark at the green circle area. Almost no space there but still you can inspect.

Name:	SST01.JPG 
Views:	186 
Size:	255.3 KB 
ID:	5176 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TbeltWaterPumpCover.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	5178

Regards,
    Kaz

Quote Originally Posted by kzukNA1 View Post
    Timing belt tensioner is #9&10 in the 1st drawing. The Crank Pulley is #6 in the 2nd one. Also the photo of pulley from above the right side of engine.

Name:	TbeltTensioner.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	5173 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CrankPulley02.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	5175 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CrankPulley01.JPG 
Views:	203 
Size:	116.8 KB 
ID:	5174

You'll need a tool like this one to remove the super-tight crank pully bolt. The size of HEX is different between MT and AT. 45mm for the MT and 50mm for the AT. If I remember correctly, at one point, both MT and AT were using the same pulley on Non-JDM model (Acura??) so be careful. You can easily measure the size by removing the rear right wheel. To check whether you have issue or not, look for the scrach mark at the green circle area. Almost no space there but still you can inspect.

Name:	SST01.JPG 
Views:	186 
Size:	255.3 KB 
ID:	5176 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TbeltWaterPumpCover.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	5178

Regards,
    Kaz
    Kaz do you have this tool, and would you consider doing the swap for members who have a new Harmonic Balancer?

Cheers,

AR

Quote Originally Posted by kzukNA1 View Post
    Timing belt tensioner is #9&10 in the 1st drawing. The Crank Pulley is #6 in the 2nd one.
    Thanks Kaz!
    2001 3.2 Circuit Blue Coupe with pop-ups!

"If you want to argue that The Best Car in the World is a supercar, go ahead. But there is only one that makes the grade. Only one that's built properly.
    Gordon Murray knows.
    Rowan Atkinson knows.
    It's the Honda NSX."
    (J. Clarkson)

Quote Originally Posted by AR View Post
    Kaz do you have this tool, and would you consider doing the swap for members who have a new Harmonic Balancer?

Cheers,

AR
    . . . I can just picture a queue of NSX's forming outside Kaz's house. . .

So, sorry if I missed it but is it possible to change the harmonic balancer and or the SOS shield without changing the TB?

Quote Originally Posted by NSXGB View Post
    . . . I can just picture a queue of NSX's forming outside Kaz's house. . .
    It looks like you should be able to do this with a socket (of the hardened variety) and a breaker bar? The "special" tool doesn't look particularly special.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXGB View Post
    So, sorry if I missed it but is it possible to change the harmonic balancer and or the SOS shield without changing the TB?
    You certainly could change the pulley/harmonic balancer without changing the timing belt but for the price of the belt you might as well do it while you got everything removed and loosend off. Same goes for the water pump... "while you're down there" style

Adding the shield looks very simple with no need to do anything else.

Cheers

Mark
    Last edited by markc; 08-04-2009 at 10:36 AM.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast