Just been on a Palmer driving day at Bedford

Fantastic day driving:
    Jag XKR
    Palmer Jaguar JP1
    Clio Cup Racer
    Formula Palmer Audi
    Porsche 911 JP3
    Caterham 7 Superlight

Oh and a Land Rover Defender on a rather good off road course.

What a great day, the instructors really do encourage you to progress, and "go for it" All the cars were very different (obviously I hear you cry) but what I mean is the configurations, front drive / rear drive, traditional / sequential shift / flappy paddle, V8 / V6/ straight 4, traction control ABS etc / basic car with no gizmos.

All the events were timed and marked by instructors, which give an added incentive to do well throughout the day. I must admit It was the guy sat in the front with me saying "don't brake keep the power on" when you think need to brake hard, made my lap times look respectable.

As for the individual cars my summary would be:
    Jaguar - big, bulky, noisy, slightly disappointing in that I didn't feel it that quick.
    Palmer Jag - great fun, great grip, quick ( oh and I had a very high speed spin)
    Clio Cup Racer - A brilliant little car, very easy do drive fast, my times were very similar to 911 below.
    Formula Palmer Audi - Single seat slicks, and a bit mad in my hands!
    Porka - Very nice actually, didn't expect it to be as stable, really enjoyed the laps.
    Caterham - Pure, lovely, and lovely I need one! Just being able to balance, and drift the car was very rewarding. Quite good times as well.

Enjoyed every ride, some more than others, but had a ball. Oh and against the above cars, nothing really felt better then my X, although all had better braking ability.

Anyone else been?
    Current toys= MV Agusta Brutale, BMW K1200s, Mini cooper SD, Jaguar XF, Ex S2000 owner
    91 NSX Owner between 16 July 05 and 18 Feb 2011

Thread is worthless without the laptimes!!

Did they tell you what they were? You could do it again in your X this Saturday if you want...
    If your fear of staying alive, outweighs the thrill of making the corner, brake.

Usual question: How much and how long for the experience?

SS

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Thread is worthless without the laptimes!!

Did they tell you what they were? You could do it again in your X this Saturday if you want...
    OK but between you and me only

Catherham on the East Circuit = 51.59
    911 on the North Circuit = 58.60
    Clio on the North Circuit = 61.54
    XKR on the South Circuit = 73.04
    Palmer Jag on West Circuit = 82.79

I've no idea how these compare, but my best show of the day was the 911 run where I finished 12th during the day from a field of 78. I though that was respectable, particularly as I really dont think my brain would allow me to go any quicker
    Current toys= MV Agusta Brutale, BMW K1200s, Mini cooper SD, Jaguar XF, Ex S2000 owner

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Surfer View Post
    Usual question: How much and how long for the experience?

SS
    I was fortunate to have been as a guest (a great freebie) but understand it's about £700 for the day. Expensive but superbly organised and run, with not too much hanging about, Breakfast, good lunch, and trophy presentations for the lucky few It's also a great opportunity to absolutely thrash the nuts off someone else's cars

Very impressive times, have you tracked it before? If so , how many times? So your'e now buying a Caterham too? !
    1999 3.2 Manual 6 Spd Coupe
    Honda's Finest Hour