Thread: NSX Health Check Service

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by kzukNA1 View Post
    The original fluid… Black. It should be clear unless you are using special brake fluid.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4186.JPG 
Views:	310 
Size:	122.7 KB 
ID:	6380
    Good job! The fluid, was this the first and single one ever filled into the system?

Blog Entries

I hope not...

Having said this, the owner only got this NSX recently so who knows how old this fluid is....

This was not the first time I saw this level of brake fluid on NSX, unfortunately.

And it's not just UK based ones. The other day, LH drive NSX was at my place and the brake system was also very bad.

Hope it will be looked after well from now on...

Regards,
    Kaz

What I don't understand: why are the cars rusting that much in the UK?

Salted winter roads and the fact that a large portion of NSX were/are used year round.

Quote Originally Posted by AR View Post
    Salted winter roads and the fact that a large portion of NSX were/are used year round.
    I would think that of equally as damaging is the fact that a lot are rolled out for occasional use, driven, washed and then put back in the garage so are not 'dried' through driving, but left for the underside to dry in the garage ...
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

Quote Originally Posted by Senninha View Post
    I would think that of equally as damaging is the fact that a lot are rolled out for occasional use, driven, washed and then put back in the garage so are not 'dried' through driving, but left for the underside to dry in the garage ...
    Hmmm... normal washing is not going to get any water to the underside of the car though. The brakes will suffer a bit, maybe light surface rusting, and worse case pads rusting to discs but this is rarely a major problem. Of course you should take a short post wash run to air dry all the hard to reach bits.

Unless you mean driven occassionally in foul weather on wet, dirty, salted roads, then quickly washed over with a bucket and sponge and immediately put in the darage still wet... unlikely that anyone here is mad enough to do that

The main problem is, IMHO, regular winter use on our wet, dirty, salty roads. That will bollocks up the underside components of any car

Some of the pics on Prime of the undersides of 10+yr old cars, with reasonable milaeges on them, from dry states like California and Arizona are amazing, they look new!

Cheers

Mark

Blog Entries

One thing I noticed on UK based NSX is that quite lots of them showed the similar rusty brackets/bolts under the body of NSX kept close to the coast area of Japan. In Japan, they don't use rock salt on the road during winter but still gets lots of rust if it was kept close to the coast.

When I moved to UK, I started to wash NSX almost every weekend during winter and then in the Spring, put the car on the stand, remove all four wheels and jet wash the underbody really well. Although I drive my NSX every day even in the winter, after doing this for more than 10 years in UK, it seems to be helping the condition of the brackets and the bolts compared to doing nothing (I just hope...)

I heard that some of the European countries use de-icer spray or brine water instead of gritting. Would be interested to know the effect on NSX compared to the gritting.

Regards,
    Kaz