Thread: NSX Health Check Service

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Hi, Nytram.
    Apology for not being able to provide you with the short instruction for doing the Oil/filter/MTF replacement. I need to finish Chris's Health Check Report first while doing my main business and working on another NSX at the same time.

Yes, you are correct. From quite a while ago, we were no longer able to purchase the tall body filter from Honda. Just use the shorter one and I normally replace it at every oil change interval.

If you are doing the MTF, it would be best if you can try to check the strainer as well.
    Be careful not to break the fixing tab of the strainer cover. There will be lots of corrosion (you can't see it until you remove it) at the strainer cover making it very difficult to remove unless it was treated in the past.

You may find some metal powder inside the strainer which is not unusual.
    However, if you find any metal pieces, then pay extra attention to your shift feeling and be prepared/plan for O/H in the future. Any big metal debris will be trapped by the magnet next to the oil pump housing before reaching the strainer so it's just a brief health check.

Please use MTF-3 from Honda, if you don't track your NSX.

You need just below 3.0L (about 2.7L) so try to bring empty container with you when visiting Honda. Don't buy the 1.0L ones individually sold at the dealer. Just ask them to pour 3.0L into your container from the dealer's 25L one. It's cheaper than buying the 1.0L ones.
    Oh, and as others suggested in the past, make sure to loosen the filler plug first before draining the MTF. I never had any issues but if you can't open it, you will be in trouble after draining the MTF.

Regards,
    Kaz

Many thanks Kaz it's really apprieciated, I will be in touch to schedual the next stage of work/improvements that you recommended.

Regards Martyn

hello Kaz, congratulation for your admirable work on our NSX, you have gold fingers!!! , can you give me N° of the parts has to order to replace the strainer gear box? then I to ask you or order themselves all your parts? thank you very much
    Honda NSX NA1 1992 red
    my langage is french, excuse me for translator (bad)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    hello Kaz, congratulation for your admirable work on our NSX, you have gold fingers!!! , can you give me N° of the parts has to order to replace the strainer gear box? then I to ask you or order themselves all your parts? thank you very much
    Hi, Thunder.

Unlike the engine oil filter, you will re-use the MTF strainer (filter) once you have inspected and cleaned it so don’t throw it away.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MTFfilterCover.JPG 
Views:	380 
Size:	132.1 KB 
ID:	6738 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MTFfilter.JPG 
Views:	375 
Size:	200.3 KB 
ID:	6737
    Strainer cover looks like this and you just need to replace the O-ring after removing the cover.
    You will see above parts inside the cover. The O-ring is located at the cover.

If you have never done this before, it would be best to get hold of spare strainer cover in case you have damaged it.

Name:	MTFstrainerCoverOring.JPG 
Views:	392 
Size:	150.2 KB 
ID:	6739

O-ring: 91307-PR8-005
    Strainer Cover: 21261-PR8-000

You can get them from your local Honda garage.
    Good luck.

Regards,
    Kaz

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz-kzukNA1 View Post
    Hi, Thunder.

Unlike the engine oil filter, you will re-use the MTF strainer (filter) once you have inspected and cleaned it so don’t throw it away.

Name:	MTFfilterCover.JPG 
Views:	380 
Size:	132.1 KB 
ID:	6738 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MTFfilter.JPG 
Views:	375 
Size:	200.3 KB 
ID:	6737
    Strainer cover looks like this and you just need to replace the O-ring after removing the cover.
    You will see above parts inside the cover. The O-ring is located at the cover.

If you have never done this before, it would be best to get hold of spare strainer cover in case you have damaged it.

Name:	MTFstrainerCoverOring.JPG 
Views:	392 
Size:	150.2 KB 
ID:	6739

O-ring: 91307-PR8-005
    Strainer Cover: 21261-PR8-000

You can get them from your local Honda garage.
    Good luck.

Regards,
    Kaz

Hi Kaz, thank you very much for your good councils! and, excuses me for my error!
    best regard
    Alain
    Last edited by Thunder; 07-04-2010 at 10:01 AM.
    Honda NSX NA1 1992 red
    my langage is french, excuse me for translator (bad)

Hi Kaz,

Can you offer some words of wisdom please to this problem ... http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/showth...ed=1#post69794

Thank you in advance

regards, Paul
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

Blog Entries

Done, I hope...

Kaz