Thread: Building a new garage!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Building a new garage!

We recently moved house and the new place doesn't have a garage, so I'm going to build one. Fortunately there's plenty or space for one .... or we wouldn't have bought this house! The only thing that I've decided is that it's going to be a double, about 6m x 6m, with a roller shutter door.

What would be your must haves if you were building a new garage?

Peter
    1996 Green NSX-T manual

Definitely a decent car lift. I'd have single sided one, not a 4 post, so access to the under see of the car is accessible, if you're planning to do work on your car. The concrete slab needs to be deep enough to mount one & obviously roof height tall enough to raise the car.
    Wix

Blog Entries

High power electricity outlets for a decent compressor/air heater and maybe a water connection.
    1997 JDM Custom Order AT VIN 1400005 - Stock
    Heineken's Garage

Power, power, power: portable lift systems need single phase 16A, you will have more choice of 1,2 or 4 post hoists with 3 phase. The quickest electric car charging is with 3 phase, then 16A then domestic 13A. Even if you don’t want them now, running a suitable sized supply in will give you future proofing.
    Water yes, future proofing for waste water drainage is easier before hard paving, landscaping goes in.

Quote Originally Posted by duncan View Post
    Power, power, power: portable lift systems need single phase 16A, you will have more choice of 1,2 or 4 post hoists with 3 phase. The quickest electric car charging is with 3 phase, then 16A then domestic 13A. Even if you don’t want them now, running a suitable sized supply in will give you future proofing.
    Getting a 3 phase supply installed is a conversation I need to have with the utility provider. We're doing major work on the house as well as building a garage and a heat pump is a possibility. Our last house had a 3 phase supply with 100A on each phase and I was sad to lose that. This house has just a single phase 60A supply, which isn't much in the context of the energy transition.
    1996 Green NSX-T manual

6mx6m is a little tight for 2 cars. Ideally 8mx7m would be nice so cars door can be open comfortably. A scissor lift is much cleaner looks when not in use.