Thread: Gauge Cluster Bulb Replacement

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Hi, Heineken.

Would like to share what I considered when I was asked to start the blog and also some of my old/recent view.

Platform
    The latest vBulletin version seemed to be much more CMSey and while vBulletin 4 was used on many Forum, no longer the mainstream.
    Personally, felt the blog feature on ver.4 was more like addon and not thought after well.

Got used to it but quite often want to use different layout and prefer much more flexibilities on the format, font, etc.
    Very limited customisation so I actually considered hosting my own page on different platform.
    Depending on your purpose and aim, some of the owners went down the path of own blog page, FB, Youtube, Instagram, etc.
    All of them have Pros and Cons.
    For now, I'll use this blog feature but always keeping the option in mind.

Depending on the purpose, another method is to create summary/heading page and make it sticky.

I created several and one example here; http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.ph...ormation-Index

Quite often, easier to guide owners to the right direction when they were covered under multiple categories/tags.

Backup method
    Obviously, if the server goes down, you can't access it.
    While the database seemed to be backed up at certain interval, not easily converted to another platform.
    I normally write the contents over many days in Word and then copy & paste it here.
    Please have some sort of backup or hosting method for the contents and photo, video, etc.

Category, tag
    For some reason, one can't add/edit the tag once published.
    I didn't find this out until later so quite annoying when trying to search for the specific post.
    You are probably aware of this but the built-in 'Search' feature on both the Forum and the Blog is not great.
    Far better googling using the search wording together with the 'site:nsxcb.co.uk'.

Therefore, recommend setting up multiple categories before starting and remember to add tag before publishing the actual post.

Lots more feedback but must stop now as lots to finish within today.
    Not perfect and may feel frustrating from time to time but if it fulfils majority of your requirements, why not start it.

I was invited to the blog so didn't require anything from my side but will look into how the access is being setup later.

Kaz
    Last edited by Kaz-kzukNA1; 21-07-2020 at 12:21 PM. Reason: extra info