Thread: NSX Resurrection attempt

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

I believe your NSX is JDM so if you can post the first 3digits of the VIN (the numbers *** as shown later) after the code NA1-***, I can understand some of the spec (DBW, non-DBW, EPS controller spec, etc) of your NSX.
    Please do not publish full VIN on here for security reason.

I know it's AT and although you mentioned that it's 99 year model, it's probably registered in 1999 in UK but the build spec could be different.
    For example, I own JDM NA1-120 type. This means that it's 1994 model.
    Some example of the first 3 digits after the code NA1-***.

NA1-100: Original model. Aug/90 but known as 91 model, E-NA1 spec
    NA1-110: 92, 93 models inc. Type-R, E-NA1 spec
    NA1-120: 94 model, E-NA1 spec
    NA1-130: 95, 96 models, introduction of DBW, E-NA1 spec
    NA1-140: 97, 98 models, E-NA1 spec
    NA1-150: 99, 00 models, GH-NA1 spec

EPS error code #33 is for the VSS so presuming that your new sensor that you replaced was tested and found to be OK, something is disturbing the VSS signal line.
    If your speedo is converted from KPH to MPH, then you will find small converter box somewhere on the car or someone may have modified the speedo circuit board directly.
    It is possible that this converter circuit is broken/not working and thus pulling down the entire VSS signal across the car.

CEL and TCS warning lights could be related to the same issue such as the O2 sensor.
    I would first fix the CEL issue and then come back to the TCS. As you are not getting the ABS warning light, the TCS one is not related to the wheel speed sensor signal. The raw signal of w/speed sensor is first monitored by the ABS controller and then the signal is filtered and level converted inside ABS before transferred to the TCS controller so any w/speed related failure will first trigger the ABS warning light and then almost at the same time or within a few seconds, the TCS one will be triggered as well.

The SCS service connector (blue 2pin connector at passenger footwell area) is a simple circuit and just there to assist the person diagnosing the error code stored on each controllers without removing the interior panels.
    One of the terminal at this connector is permanentaly connected to the GND and the other one combines all of the SCS pin at each controllers into a single wire.

So, if your SCS service connector is not working for some reason, you just do it the hard way by getting to the controller box, GND the SCS pin at the controller without disconnecting any connectors and then turn the IG key On.

Depending on the cause of your SCS service connector issue (and the position of the wiring damge/issue on SCS circuit if it is related to the wiring), connecting the SCS pin at one controller to the GND may allow you to read all error codes on other controllers as well.
    Otherwise, you need to do the same process on each controllers.

On RHD model like JDM and UK spec, ECU is behind the driver seat and the TCS controller is behind the passenger side.
    Find the pinout of SCS terminal at each controller through the Workshop manual for your year model and just insert the test probe from behind the terminal pin at the connector without disconnecting it.
    Then GND the other end and turn the IG key On.
    If you see the blinking warning light, you have successfully created the SCS circuit.

If your NSX is at VTEC direct, then Andy owns/owned NSX and several owners are carrying out their services there so they knows the car.

Good luck.

Kaz

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz-kzukNA1 View Post
    I believe your NSX is JDM so if you can post the first 3digits of the VIN (the numbers *** as shown later) after the code NA1-***, I can understand some of the spec (DBW, non-DBW, EPS controller spec, etc) of your NSX.
    Please do not publish full VIN on here for security reason.

Hi Kaz,

I checked the online NSX vin decoders and none of them make sense unless they were only for the american markets.

My partial Vin is NA1-240X

The speedometer is now working although the car is still in limp mode and the TCS and CEL lights are still on. I cant remeber how they fixed this but I remember them vaguely saying that the place where the block for the speedometer was supposed tpo be was in the rong place on the ECU. I will have to clarify this.

At first they thought the loom had been replaced but everything seems like it has been untouched as far as the layout of the loom and wiring goes. Is it possible that the ECU might have been changed? are all NSX 3.0 Automatic ECU's the same? is there anyway to check this? It could be that the previous owner replaced the ECU with one from a model that wasn't compatible ie a 3.0 Manual?

I am in no way an expert and just thinking out loud here. Again I really appreciate all the help that I have received. These forums are awesome.
    Family Car: Range Rover L322
    Sports Car: Porsche 911 C4
    Long Term Project: Honda NSX 99' 3.0 V6 Auto
    Facebook; NSX in the City
    check out my instagram jivaldinho and Supercarsofmcr