Thread: After Market ICE Units

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thanks for the replies so far, Kaz & Jon.

I'd try & source another console, so I can put back to standard when I needed to. I'm thinking of direct replacement for the head unit, with a link lead into the standard harness connectors, so an off the shelf aftermarket unit is preferable, that has all the 'mod-cons' built in, so there's no need for link leads etc.

I've looked at the Willman conversion before but I think it's a bit expensive & I'd rather have the original unit ready to be put back in, rather than have it adapted.

So basically, if anyone has fitted a more modern double din unit, with sat-nav, bluetooth DAB, what did you fit & is it any good ?
    Wix

Quote Originally Posted by wixer View Post

I've looked at the Willman conversion before but I think it's a bit expensive & I'd rather have the original unit ready to be put back in, rather than have it adapted.

So basically, if anyone has fitted a more modern double din unit, with sat-nav, bluetooth DAB, what did you fit & is it any good ?
    Having owned a car stereo shop for many years it would be very wise as you can imagine to stick with the big brands if you want almost total reliability and best quality.
    It is a real mine field of choice out there so if you can find a quality incar entertainment speacalist around Coventry or Birmingham at least you will be able to narrow it down on ease of use.
    My order of preference in make would be:
    Alpine
    Pioneer
    Kenwood

I used to fit customers own supplied far eastern/Chinese all singing all dancing head units and most had sound quality issues (interference and distortion) or just poor reliability, although as you will no doubt see on line the price is the big draw to buy.
    But as I always told the customers "you only get what you pay for", and that's particularly true with micro electronics devices.

I personally kept the oem Bose head unit and installed devices of the back of it including everything and more of what you're looking for.
    Good luck anyway.
    Last edited by Pride; 09-01-2020 at 07:47 PM.
    Pride.

1992 My beloved Red/Black manual NA1.😎
    1992 Chevy Lumina apv Rockford Fosgate sound system demo van.🙉
    2003 Hartge Mini Cooper S (2 x UK & 1 x European sound quality finals winner) 🏆 

"The NSX's greatest victory was to WIN the 1995 Le Mans 24hr GT2 Class"
    ..............and guess what, it was a RED one but of course.  