Thread: NSX differential

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

James, I thought you worked in a car related industry? So could easily source MTF or lubrication oils etc? Didn't you previously sell or adviced on Wyns products? Correct me if I'm miles off or just say nope?
    1999 3.2 Manual 6 Spd Coupe
    Honda's Finest Hour

Quote Originally Posted by TheSebringOne View Post
    James, I thought you worked in a car related industry? So could easily source MTF or lubrication oils etc? Didn't you previously sell or adviced on Wyns products? Correct me if I'm miles off or just say nope?
    I can definately get a variety of different products through the trade, but the stuff I've tried so far didn't help the notchiness when the car is cold so I wanted to try the MTF4 to see whether it was any better.

Cheers,

James.
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!

Blog Entries

Hi, James.
    As you already checked with Honda UK, it seems that the latest MTF on the market is MTF-3. That is what I have in my gbox at the moment and as in my post, it is a very good oil for street and light track usage. Just try it as it is not that expensive for just about 3.0L from Honda. I think it was about £7 per litre...

Regards,
    Kaz

Default Mtf

The latest generation of MTF from Honda has a "white" cap.
    It does smooth the gearbox and won't effect the sycronizers adversly. Some of the friction modifiers will smooth the gear box but at the cost of prematurly wearing the syncros.

Cheers
    nigel

Quote Originally Posted by nigel View Post
    The latest generation of MTF from Honda has a "white" cap.
    It does smooth the gearbox and won't effect the sycronizers adversly. Some of the friction modifiers will smooth the gear box but at the cost of prematurly wearing the syncros.

Cheers
    nigel
    Hi Nigel,

I guess the latest MTF may be the way to go, but why would a friction modifer wear the synchros?

Cheers,

James.
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!

If Honda specify a 10W30 or 10W40 'engine' oil, why would you put a 75/80 ,transmission' oil in?
    The LSD for the pre 1995 M/T [5 speed] plus all years A/T compared to the 1995 on M/T [both 5 and 6 speeds] are very similar; the sun wheels are an enclosed set and are sandwiched between two clutch packs in the diff case, all lubricated by the gearbox oil. The later M/Ts have less plates/clutches in the sandwich but have in-lieu thrust races against the case itself. So whether the sun wheels have a 'torsen' style helical twist or not, the diff is relying on these 'wet' clutch packs to lock the diff.
    My assumption being that as the diff spins the oil/ clutches heat and then lock, in a similar fashion to the steel on steel expansion of bellville washers in a Salisbury style 'Powr-Loc' LSD.
    As Honda specify the gearbox and hence diff oil as 10/30 or 10W/40 'engine' oil, as opposed to [say] Castrol LS or B373, the plates/clutches have presumably been so engineered and optimised. A different grade or style of oil, or oil additives will surely alter the bite character of the diff.
    So......10W30 or 10W40 SF or SG grade every 2 years......

Quote Originally Posted by duncan View Post
    If Honda specify a 10W30 or 10W40 'engine' oil, why would you put a 75/80 ,transmission' oil in?
    The LSD for the pre 1995 M/T [5 speed] plus all years A/T compared to the 1995 on M/T [both 5 and 6 speeds] are very similar; the sun wheels are an enclosed set and are sandwiched between two clutch packs in the diff case, all lubricated by the gearbox oil. The later M/Ts have less plates/clutches in the sandwich but have in-lieu thrust races against the case itself. So whether the sun wheels have a 'torsen' style helical twist or not, the diff is relying on these 'wet' clutch packs to lock the diff.
    My assumption being that as the diff spins the oil/ clutches heat and then lock, in a similar fashion to the steel on steel expansion of bellville washers in a Salisbury style 'Powr-Loc' LSD.
    As Honda specify the gearbox and hence diff oil as 10/30 or 10W/40 'engine' oil, as opposed to [say] Castrol LS or B373, the plates/clutches have presumably been so engineered and optimised. A different grade or style of oil, or oil additives will surely alter the bite character of the diff.

SS
    Lexus LC500h.......New Daily run around with some saving the Planet thoughts
    Black/black 95 NSX NA with mk1 Ary exhaust....Now sold
    Red/Black 91 NSX treasure.....FI No more NA
    Silver/Pearl White/Black 1993 NSX 3.0 5 MT NSX ZAZ R-GT Twin Scroll Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by duncan View Post
    "My assumption being that as the diff spins the oil/ clutches heat and then lock, in a similar fashion to the steel on steel expansion of bellville washers in a Salisbury style 'Powr-Loc' LSD. "

I don't think this is the case - the above to me sounds like a viscous coupling.