Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: bubbling Paint..

Quote Originally Posted by AR View Post
    It seems it only affects the LEV cars, but I could be wrong.
    That's what I thought, but apparently not. However, both the blue cars I had suffered from corrosion. But not the 96 car. My current car has it. I guess I'll get it rectified during the winter. Like I said, just glad it's red and not LBB or IOP. However, although a pain to match, a good paintshop should be able to blend these colours to a satisfactory finish.

Cheers,

James.

2. Default

OK.. now that it's pretty much established that all the newer cars have it to some degree... I wonder if we could go for some type of class-action to get Honda to either sort out our cars or give a one-off contribution towards sorting it out. i.e. they might be interested in getting current owners to accept compensation to sign a disclaimer against "this particular car" ever coming back to Honda with a corrosion complaint again?

*I'm not greedy and am fully prepared to contribute towards a re-spray of effected panels, and am obviously prepared to go at it alone if I have to. Not sure where they legally stand on what is certainly a manufacturers issue.

What do you guys think? a realistic approach??? personally think HondaUK would potentially be interested in paying out £600 - £1000 per panel affected to put a line under this once and for all? Or am I dreaming?

*The way I see it-
    1. max per car right now is approximately 2 panels x ?? (what 20 genuine UK cars max)
    2. time is not on our side. Our chance of success has decreased with each year that's passed. i.e. 2005-2008 would have been ideal! ...2011 is iffy.... 2012/2013=forget it.
    Last edited by Boomin33; 18-06-2011 at 10:44 AM.

Despite the high cost of living, it's still very popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomin33 View Post
    OK.. now that it's pretty much established that all the newer cars have it to some degree... I wonder if we could go for some type of class-action to get Honda to either sort out our cars or give a one-off contribution towards sorting it out. i.e. they might be interested in getting current owners to accept compensation to sign a disclaimer against "this particular car" ever coming back to Honda with a corrosion complaint again?

*I'm not greedy and am fully prepared to contribute towards a re-spray of effected panels, and am obviously prepared to go at it alone if I have to. Not sure where they legally stand on what is certainly a manufacturers issue.

What do you guys think? a realistic approach??? personally think HondaUK would potentially be interested in paying out £600 - £1000 per panel affected to put a line under this once and for all? Or am I dreaming?

*The way I see it-
    1. max per car right now is approximately 2 panels x ?? (what 20 genuine UK cars max)
    2. time is not on our side. Our chance of success has decreased with each year that's passed. i.e. 2005-2008 would have been ideal! ...2011 is iffy.... 2012/2013=forget it.
    I wonder if I should've gone to Chiswick rather than Trident to get the photos taken - like you I bought the car in 2007 from Chiswick (when Ivan worked there), and paid an extra £1k for extended warranty - recently renewed. Trident haven't really pursued the cause as much as I would've hoped.

I also have the issue of corroding wheels - will probably get those done myself and concentrate on the paint.

If we combine our resources (assuming no other owners come forward), I'm sure we can sort something out.

I'll happily take some pics and send them on. But as my car's not under warranty I wouldn't expect any help.

Cheers,

James.

5. Default

You got a deal Noel. Let's see what they say to me when I take mine in. If they're cooperative, I'll bring it up with them re:yours also, and let them know that you'll be bringing yours in for photos also? That way They can go to HondaUK with "Houston, we've got a problem" with regards to cars they sold out of their showroom in 2007.

I wonder if Paul has any issue?? I think that would be about the last one they sold? *if it starts to look promising... we'll chuck James' in to the mix for good measure.

I'm with James though, see it as a long shot.... but, nothing ventured, nothing gained - as they say.

the pessimist in me suspects, at best, at some point there will be a frank conversation along the lines of "what are you after"... for me, 50%-65% off on bodyshop bill seems fair ( obviously I haven't seen the quote, yet!¬!
    Last edited by Boomin33; 18-06-2011 at 02:41 PM.

Despite the high cost of living, it's still very popular.

*The way I see it-
    Mine is (was) an everyday high-miler. So both front wings & both doors are affected. Cannot see HUK giving me four bag for a decade-old banger, though!

I'd rather they threw an unseized compliance pivot at me, but that's just me...
    Nick

“I find myself irresistibly attracted to cars that nobody else buys. The NSX is a classic of the genre because nobody buys it and yet it’s a fantastic car. It’s got a wonderful compactness and simplicity and unpretentiousness to it. Honda rudely continues to make them whether we like it or not, even though there can be no commercial logic in doing so — I thoroughly admire that.” Rowan Atkinson

7. Default

what a horrible sounding subject to bring up on this site.

Anyway, I've got two little bubbled looking spots that have cropped up on the passenger side rear panel - lower part, near ground but on the main panel... not skirt one is just smaller than a 5 p coin and the other about half that size. If I were to pick at it,, certain could just flake it away to reveal aluminium...

If it weren't an Aluminium panel i'd say it looks exactly like rust/corrosion eating away under the paint.

Anyone ever seen this before?

It's going to be a real expensive remedy I figure.. as it is pretty much the largest panel on the car and it is "oh so easy to match" IOP...
    This is exactly where I had the same problem.

I had a 6 month battle with Honda 3 years ago terminating in them refusing to discuss it any further...helpful

The cause is that the rubber/plastic stone protector is badly aligned on the rear of the wheel arch. The initial damage is a stone chip and water penetrating behind...lifting the paint and yes causing "corrosion"....Quote was over £1200.

Honda claim it is not covered as it is a stone chip and the warranty covers in to out corrosion not out to in...A summary of 6 months arguement !

It doesn't get any worse and at least it's honest...A respray then begs the question in the future has it been rear ended?

My caterham has a couple of similar bubbles caused where Ali and Steel joined...I covered them in Union Jack stickers!!!

I'm so not stickerbombing my NSX!
    Nick

“I find myself irresistibly attracted to cars that nobody else buys. The NSX is a classic of the genre because nobody buys it and yet it’s a fantastic car. It’s got a wonderful compactness and simplicity and unpretentiousness to it. Honda rudely continues to make them whether we like it or not, even though there can be no commercial logic in doing so — I thoroughly admire that.” Rowan Atkinson

My old car now owned by James had a little showing. Hondas policy of no forward pointing paint being covered is bollocks in my opinion. Trouble is with aluminium it doesn't like air getting to it but hopefully should be easy to put right with a good body shop

Cheers

John
    ------------------
    2004 3.2 Man, Formula Red. Now Sold and not missed as much as expected. Life goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by Papalazarou View Post
    I'll happily take some pics and send them on. But as my car's not under warranty I wouldn't expect any help.

Cheers,

James.
    I'm happy to help the cause though I doubt they would be interested in my 98

Let me know if you want photo's

regards, Paul
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast