Page 10 of 37 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Tyres

Quote Originally Posted by Sudesh View Post
    Well it time to change my fronts. The thread depth is more than fine about 70% good, but on close inspection the tyre has deterioration, in between the tread itself. I guess lack of use and being on for a long period of time, its just taken its toll now. So doing a bit of searching around and found some tyres for the NSX in OEM 16" Size

Bridgestone Potenza RE040
    Pirelli P7
    Dunlop Sport MAXX MFS
    Continental Premium Contact 2
    Yokahama A043A
    YokahamA A022
    Goodyear Excellence

Anyone have any experience on the above?
    For dry weather driving it's hard to look past the RE040.

I can't comment on the Yokos or Dunlops as we're not distributors for those brands.

Conti Contact 2s rubber compound is too soft for my liking but you may like them.

Avoid the Goodyear excellence and Pirelli P7.
    These aren't a 'performance tyre' as such and you'll find that their speed ratings will be too low for the NSX.

Sudesh Guest

Thanks guys! Speed rating wont really be an issue for me as I very rarely exceed 60/70 mph, also need to think logical and decided there is no point in me paying big ££££ for a tyre when the car only see's somewhere between 500 and 1000 miles a year and over winter it's pretty much stored for 3/4 month's.

Thanks guys! Speed rating wont really be an issue for me as I very rarely exceed 60/70 mph, also need to think logical and decided there is no point in me paying big ££££ for a tyre when the car only see's somewhere between 500 and 1000 miles a year and over winter it's pretty much stored for 3/4 month's.
    The only problem is that if your speed ratings don't match or exceed that on your sticker / plate it will fail the MOT (if the tester picks up on it).

I suppose that all depends on how smart the tester is and what sort of mood he's in.

Quote Originally Posted by gcon45 View Post
    The only problem is that if your speed ratings don't match or exceed that on your sticker / plate it will fail the MOT (if the tester picks up on it).

I suppose that all depends on how smart the tester is and what sort of mood he's in.

And although we (cough) don't exceed the speed limits or even approach the top speed of the car won't the insurance potentially/technically be invalidated with a lower rated tyre? Of course proving the tyres were a cause of any accident may be difficult but still another sticking point?

That is my understanding - the car must be fitted with tyres with the appropriate speed rating for insurance to be valid.
    2001 3.2 Circuit Blue Coupe with pop-ups!

"If you want to argue that The Best Car in the World is a supercar, go ahead. But there is only one that makes the grade. Only one that's built properly.
    Gordon Murray knows.
    Rowan Atkinson knows.
    It's the Honda NSX."
    (J. Clarkson)

...also need to think logical and decided there is no point in me paying big ££££ for a tyre when the car only see's somewhere between 500 and 1000 miles a year and over winter it's pretty much stored for 3/4 month's.
    In which case stick with the RE040s.

The only ones on that list which may compare in terms of grip are the Yokos, but IIRC the OE-spec Yokos weren't that well received and I'm told the others have soft sidewalls.

I also rate Conti SportContacts quite highly (2 and 3 both very good), but PremiumContact is I believe more for saloons not sports cars.
    "No man with a good car needs to be justified"

Blue '08 FD2 CTR - big, ITR-sized shoes to fill...
    Yellow '96 NSX 3.0 - oh was it worth the wait!
    Black '99 ITR - well, I had to have another one, the first was so much fun. Miss this one even more than #1...
    Blue '03 S2000 - SOLD, flawed but fun
    Blue '04 Focus TDCi Sport - SOLD, very good fun for a diesel!
    Black '00 ITR - SOLD, still missed
    Red '98 Civic VTi - SOLD, probably still bombproof

have 16" REO40's on the front and 17" REO50's on the rears.
    this feels an excellent combination with good response and feedback
    with the very good dry grip, never pushed them in the wet.
    Was told by my tyre supplier ( also a very good friend coming to Japfest)
    that REO40's no longer available in the 245 40 17 size.
    Also found REO40's very good on my RX8

As I have not owned an NSX, but having used B'stone Potenza's for years now both on my old Accord Type R and on my last car a 370bhp'ed Mitsy Evo 8, I have to admit that they are a superb all rounder. Never had any issues with these tyres in the dry or in the wet. I have tried various marques such as Good Year etc and nothing beats the Potenza range for all round drivability and lastability ... again not knowing how sore the NSX is on tyres, but lets put things into context - the thing that kills tyres is how the car is driven ... or in some cases on this forum the lack of driving!

BTW i dont work for b'stone, i just reckon they are a really good tyre and suit my driving style down to a T!

I even use b'stones on my motorcylce's (however set of Michelin Pilot's on one of the bikes and have to admit very impressive)

If and when (hopefully very soon) when i get me paws on an NSX i will be getting RE050's fitted ... not interested in anything else tbh

Just my 2p's worth

goldnsx Guest

Several people mentioned that they went with Hankook EVO V12. I had them a short time on my DD but sold the car this spring. The performance was good. I still hesitate to mount them on the NSX.
    What about the longlivity of them on the NSX esp. of the rear ones compared to GY or BS?

Having experienced OEM BS & Dunlops and now GY F1 GSD3 (non OEM), the BS are the best for handling mainly down to having the stiffest sidewalls. I'm not really interested in how long they last, but performance & feel are paramount.
    1999 3.2 Manual 6 Spd Coupe
    Honda's Finest Hour

Page 10 of 37 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast