Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blocked washer-jet hose - suggestions?

Default Blocked washer-jet hose - suggestions?

The driver-side washer jet stopped working a month ago. I stripped the hose down as far as possible and tracked it to the final section of hose feeding the jet itself.

...which was a right PITA, as this is the only section of hose which has some sort of plastic 'block' at one end (which won't or can't be detached - and no, it's not the right-angle join which feeds the nozzle itself, it's the other end), so I couldn't run something through it all the way to make sure it was clear. Nonetheless, I had a go, and thought I'd got it fixed...until yesterday, when it stopped working again.

So:-
    - Any bright ideas for clearing the hose properly?
    - Any ideas where I can get a replacement section of hose? I'm guessing the Honda part will be the whole hose-assembly for both jets...and probably won't be that cheap!
    - ...and as an aside, any idea what that plastic bit actually does?!?

Thanks,

Martin.
    "No man with a good car needs to be justified"

Blue '08 FD2 CTR - big, ITR-sized shoes to fill...
    Yellow '96 NSX 3.0 - oh was it worth the wait!
    Black '99 ITR - well, I had to have another one, the first was so much fun. Miss this one even more than #1...
    Blue '03 S2000 - SOLD, flawed but fun
    Blue '04 Focus TDCi Sport - SOLD, very good fun for a diesel!
    Black '00 ITR - SOLD, still missed
    Red '98 Civic VTi - SOLD, probably still bombproof

Are we talking about the windscreen or the headlights?

if the pipe is stopped, can be because of limestone or a deposit of special product glazes, lets soak the pipe in hot vinegar to remove the deposit, never not to pour l' tap water in the tank, to put water distilled with 2 drops of product crockery or l' special water for lava freezes!
    Honda NSX NA1 1992 red
    my langage is french, excuse me for translator (bad)

How about compressed air from the nozzles end?

Mmmm, have a similar problem as of the weekend only on passenger side.

THB, neither side has been sending water with much force for a short while now, but then they dont get used that often.

Is it possible that after 11 years the 'tank' needs cleaning and the system flushing through to restore some power to the jets and get both sides working properly?

Interested in some tech feedback please.

regards, Paul
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

Quote Originally Posted by Senninha View Post
    Mmmm, have a similar problem as of the weekend only on passenger side.

THB, neither side has been sending water with much force for a short while now, but then they dont get used that often.

Is it possible that after 11 years the 'tank' needs cleaning and the system flushing through to restore some power to the jets and get both sides working properly?

Interested in some tech feedback please.

regards, Paul
    Hi Paul,

I had the same problem after fitting my boy-racer bonnet!! Your problem may also be a result of the NSX-R bonnet......

My bonnet although not Procar is thicker that the standard one. When I connected the washer pipework underneath the bonnet, fixing the rubber "grommety" trumpet-like pieces to the underside of the nozzle and bonnet all I ever got was a trickle from the nozzles. On investigating I realised that the distance was not bridged adequately between the trumpet and the nozzle so there was never a good seal made between the pipe to the washer nozzle.

The solution was to enlarge the hole in the underside of the bonnect to allow the pipework to be pushed through far enough to connect properly with the nozzle. I then had full-power washers again....

Gary

Blog Entries

There are several things to be checked on the washer system such as the motor, the hole at the tank cap, the plastic tube, the one way valve, the nozzle and so on.
    The motor is nothing special and unlike some of the pumps, I believe there is no need for the back pressure to build up on this one.

Therefore, it is best to check the system section by section to narrow down the failed area or cause of issue.

As many of us experienced, the most common one is the wax/polish residue stuck inside the nozzle hole. You can use sharp pin to remove the residue and adjust the angle as well. Or, if you managed to remove the plastic tube, then you can use low pressure compressor air to push it out. There is a one way valve close to the nozzle so be careful with the pressure and direction of the air. You can also use small pump like you find on the hand soap dispenser to pass some water through the tube for testing.

Since your passenger side seemed to be fine, the tank/motor/etc looked to be in good condition.

The small cylinder like plastic part is the one way valve so you may have some small debris blocking the entry of it. You won’t be able to clean it unless you remove the plastic/vinyl tube.
    You can check the one way valve by blowing the air into it.

It could be difficult to remove the tube but try to warm it up with heater gun.

If you have any doubts on the plastic/vinyl tube, then just replace them. If it is hard to remove, then just carefully make small splice at the connection point and bend it to break the tube in the longitude direction.

You can get them from Honda but all they do is to cut their bulk stock into a certain length. It’s dark grey/light black one. I think it is the same between JDM and UK spec so it would be internal diameter 4.0mm, outer 7.0mm.
    If you don’t mind using clear tube, you can get similar spec one from your local DIY store, hydraulic company or even from garden centre or pet shop where it stocks fish tank and so on.

If you decide to replace the one way valve as well for some reason, then keep the old one if it is still working. It's quite handy to use it when bleeding your brake fluid and so on.

Just take your time for the investigation as there is always a reason for the problem.

Kaz

Great reply as always Kaz - thank-you!

I thought the plastic part had to be there for a reason...and 1-way valve makes a lot of sense. I'll have another look at the weekend, see if I can't disassemble it completely and clean both the valve and the tube more thoroughly.

Failing that, I'll risk phoning Honda and getting a quote for the valve and some more hose! Place your bets here as to how much they want to fleece me...

Oh...and the next little trial my lovely NSX is putting me through is the alarm system setting itself off repeatedly when in direct sunlight! Indicators flash 6 times when disarmed, which I think from last time suggests the ultrasonics...however from previous experience with the S2000's Hamilton-Palmer system (which failed-immobilised!) I'm tempted not to chase that problem around the houses and just get it ripped-out and replaced, esp. with a couple of road-trips coming up.

(Gotta love older cars eh...)
    "No man with a good car needs to be justified"

Blue '08 FD2 CTR - big, ITR-sized shoes to fill...
    Yellow '96 NSX 3.0 - oh was it worth the wait!
    Black '99 ITR - well, I had to have another one, the first was so much fun. Miss this one even more than #1...
    Blue '03 S2000 - SOLD, flawed but fun
    Blue '04 Focus TDCi Sport - SOLD, very good fun for a diesel!
    Black '00 ITR - SOLD, still missed
    Red '98 Civic VTi - SOLD, probably still bombproof

Hi Martin,

I had the same problem with the Prelude when I bought it.

I stripped out the nozzles/bonnet hoses; they were full of mould. Soaking them in very hot water/vinegar cleared them.

I also filled the reservoir with very hot water & pumped it through the remainder a few times. I think previous owner had been using Puffy Liquid instead of screen wash and it gunks it all up horribly.

Been right as rain since.

BTW - Pushing pins through nipples isn't recommended; it can damage them.
    Nick

“I find myself irresistibly attracted to cars that nobody else buys. The NSX is a classic of the genre because nobody buys it and yet it’s a fantastic car. It’s got a wonderful compactness and simplicity and unpretentiousness to it. Honda rudely continues to make them whether we like it or not, even though there can be no commercial logic in doing so — I thoroughly admire that.” Rowan Atkinson

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Graves View Post
    BTW - Pushing pins through nipples isn't recommended; it can damage them.
    I always use dental floss
    ****1997 3.2 Orange / Black SOLD****

Previously driven by.........

Jeremy Clarkson, Tim Harvey, Richard Burns (RIP), Jason Plato, Harvey Postlethwaite (RIP), Manfred Wollgarten, Dirk Schoysman, Barrie Williams.

Nurburgring lap time 8:38 - Honda NSX (sport auto, 08/97)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast