Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Last call for 2002 LBB!

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by NoelWatson View Post
    From what I can gather on PH, it is purely the faxt that one is handmade and one isn't. I consider the MkII far better value
    There are other differences. I was reading an old Evo last night which contained their Performance car of the decade. Both 996GT3s were in there but the Mk1 was reported to be more exploitable and predictable, mainly due to differences in the front end set-up.

Quote Originally Posted by NoelWatson View Post

Thanks. Unfortunately the Mk2 is sold. Probably for the best as I'm not in a position to buy at the moment. I'm just keeping an eye on things.

In the meantime I'm keen to hear of Papa's progress and experiences.
    Ex. 2004 NA2 LBB Manual Coupe

The Cridford car was a great spec, but if I'm going to sign my life away it has to be for the right car and seal grey is downright dull. If it had been darker or graphite I would have made the journey to see it.

Cheers,

James.
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
    There are other differences. I was reading an old Evo last night which contained their Performance car of the decade. Both 996GT3s were in there but the Mk1 was reported to be more exploitable and predictable, mainly due to differences in the front end set-up.
    I will go an read the article later this week (can you remind me of issue number please). IIRC they were pretty closely scored at the end. I think EVo have also tested the 997 GT3s against the 996s. It may be the case that the 997 GT3 Mk1 comes down in price when the Mk2 comes on line. Talking of the Mk2, Porsche can't be making a great deal of money on each one with the exchange rate as it is.

Good buyers guide (from GT Purely Porsche magazine) available here...

http://www.parr-uk.co.uk/parr-media/...compressed.pdf

Thought I'd let you guys know what I thought of the GT3 I drove yesterday. It was a 15 mile test drive, some bumpy roads, a bit of straight and some well surfaced open bends; 2nd and 3rd gear stuff.

The car was an immaculate MK1 with low miles so everything was well sorted.
    First of all, and I was warned about this, on start up these cars sound a little rough!

I climbed into the racing bucket seats which are, as far as I can see, non adjustable which means you sit very straight and very upright. This is further exasperated by the upper bolster which pushes your shoulders forward. Now, after 10 minutes of driving this car I was beginning to wish there was some adjustment. for road use I'd be looking around for some Recaros! for track, I'd be looking to modify the mountings on the bucket seats so I wasn't being crucified! I really don't understand why performance function is often so compromised. the NSX-R and type S seats look like they have a sensible tilt? Interestingly the New GT3's have adjustability.

Anyway, what was the car like? Well having never driven a 911 before, I was interested to know whether I'd notice the well documented quirks these cars have.

The first thing I really noticed was the clutch; a nice smooth action but a fair bit stiffer than the NSX, but I guess most are.

next up was the steering; very direct compared to the lazy steering of the NSX. The steering feel was also much lighter, I'd actually made the first turn before I'd consciously realised.

Once on the bumpy roads the car was actually pretty civilized, once I'd remembered to let the car plot its own course rather than continually correcting. The suspension was actually quite compliant.

The trademark nose skip was there, making the front feel a little strange at lower speed but coming alive at higher speed where the car made a lot more sense.

In the first couple of gears the extra 60-70 hp is noticeable. In a straight line you'd have to ring the neck out of an NA2 to stand a chance of keeping up. also because there's a fair bit more torque, it pulls harder at lower revs.

After having 24 hours to process the information, I'd say that the GT3 is easily a harder car to drive than the NSX, but perhaps not surprising when you consider its focus.

It's certainly pretty raw compared to the Honda; There appears to be less sound deadening so the engine sounds course even at mid revs on a light throttle. It's also nowhere near as smooth as the V6.

The sharper steering is an aquired taste but once you got used to it I imagine it would be preferable. the steering on the NSX is more progressive.

The gearbox was good, but not as good as the NSX and although I imagine the brakes were a vast improvement on the Honda, I didn't get them warm enough to really test them.

My conclusion would be;

Plus points: brutal engine, great steering, sound on full throttle, surprisingly compliant for a track biased car.

Minus points: seats (am I getting old?), front end at low speed.

Would I buy one? The MK1 was too raw for me, but ask me when I've driven a MK2 with normal seats.

FFinally, these are just my observations, I'm not an expert and have never driven a 911 before yesterday.

However, If I had to choose between my car and a mk1 GT3 at this moment I'd choose the Honda. with the right brakes and suspension (I hear KW make some very compliant road/track set-ups now)and some comfortable sports seats the NSX may be the better car.

Cheers,

James.
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!

The seats are in fact Recaros.....oh and they used them on the Enterprise too!!

The seats should also be adjustable on their side mounts at both the front and rear allowing you the required tilt...??

The Recaro's in my 964 & 993 were....oh and the steering does feel night & day to an NSX but the front end feeling varies massively depending on how much fuel the tank has in it....
    Last edited by Hagasan; 28-02-2009 at 08:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hagasan View Post
    the steering does fell night & day to an NSX but the front end feeling varies massively depending on how much fuel the tank has in it....

Back to the old 911 Mod of having a bag of concrete in the nose then !
    91 Honda Nsx
    90 VW Golf 16v (Track Hack)

Quote Originally Posted by Hagasan View Post
    the front end feeling varies massively depending on how much fuel the tank has in it....
    Quote from Prime:

Another interesting item along this line would be where the fuel tank is placed. In 1991 competitive info states that the NSX with a full tank had weight distribution of 42% front, 58% rear, this number will change by .5% when the fuel tank is empty. The Porsche 911 will change by 2.25%.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Papalazarou View Post
    Thought I'd let you guys know what I thought of the GT3 I drove yesterday. It was a 15 mile test drive, some bumpy roads, a bit of straight and some well surfaced open bends; 2nd and 3rd gear stuff.

The car was an immaculate MK1 with low miles so everything was well sorted.
    First of all, and I was warned about this, on start up these cars sound a little rough!

I climbed into the racing bucket seats which are, as far as I can see, non adjustable which means you sit very straight and very upright. This is further exasperated by the upper bolster which pushes your shoulders forward. Now, after 10 minutes of driving this car I was beginning to wish there was some adjustment. for road use I'd be looking around for some Recaros! for track, I'd be looking to modify the mountings on the bucket seats so I wasn't being crucified! I really don't understand why performance function is often so compromised. the NSX-R and type S seats look like they have a sensible tilt? Interestingly the New GT3's have adjustability.

Anyway, what was the car like? Well having never driven a 911 before, I was interested to know whether I'd notice the well documented quirks these cars have.

The first thing I really noticed was the clutch; a nice smooth action but a fair bit stiffer than the NSX, but I guess most are.

next up was the steering; very direct compared to the lazy steering of the NSX. The steering feel was also much lighter, I'd actually made the first turn before I'd consciously realised.

Once on the bumpy roads the car was actually pretty civilized, once I'd remembered to let the car plot its own course rather than continually correcting. The suspension was actually quite compliant.

The trademark nose skip was there, making the front feel a little strange at lower speed but coming alive at higher speed where the car made a lot more sense.

In the first couple of gears the extra 60-70 hp is noticeable. In a straight line you'd have to ring the neck out of an NA2 to stand a chance of keeping up. also because there's a fair bit more torque, it pulls harder at lower revs.

After having 24 hours to process the information, I'd say that the GT3 is easily a harder car to drive than the NSX, but perhaps not surprising when you consider its focus.

It's certainly pretty raw compared to the Honda; There appears to be less sound deadening so the engine sounds course even at mid revs on a light throttle. It's also nowhere near as smooth as the V6.

The sharper steering is an aquired taste but once you got used to it I imagine it would be preferable. the steering on the NSX is more progressive.

The gearbox was good, but not as good as the NSX and although I imagine the brakes were a vast improvement on the Honda, I didn't get them warm enough to really test them.

My conclusion would be;

Plus points: brutal engine, great steering, sound on full throttle, surprisingly compliant for a track biased car.

Minus points: seats (am I getting old?), front end at low speed.

Would I buy one? The MK1 was too raw for me, but ask me when I've driven a MK2 with normal seats.

FFinally, these are just my observations, I'm not an expert and have never driven a 911 before yesterday.

However, If I had to choose between my car and a mk1 GT3 at this moment I'd choose the Honda. with the right brakes and suspension (I hear KW make some very compliant road/track set-ups now)and some comfortable sports seats the NSX may be the better car.

Cheers,

James.
    James I quite agree - After driving a 996 MK1 GT3 - The Gearbox for me was the biggest Disappointment as is the Mk2. Brakes are phenomenal, but unlike you I certainly did not like the steering, as it picked up every undulation in the road. I believe the 997 has a better feel to the gearbox however I am yet to road test one. My Preference is the 964 RS or Turbo S, but I would need to fit A/C to the 964 RS and the Turbo S is £100K +
    http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/807796.htm

Cheers

Blu

Hi James!

Lots of interesting stuff - keep up the reports.

Quite different to a GT2/3 I know, but have you considered at least test driving one of these:

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/873773.html

I hadn't realised how dramatically they had depreciated and whilst not as focused as the GT cars, I wonder what a few more years of evolution have done to the breed?? by all accounts, they are great drivers cars.

Just an idea!
    2001 3.2 Circuit Blue Coupe with pop-ups!

"If you want to argue that The Best Car in the World is a supercar, go ahead. But there is only one that makes the grade. Only one that's built properly.
    Gordon Murray knows.
    Rowan Atkinson knows.
    It's the Honda NSX."
    (J. Clarkson)

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast