Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Handling issues with New Tyres

1. Default

After all the issues I had fitting the gy eagle f1's. I decided to return to oem tyres. I did a LOT of phoning and searching on the net & I finally found some BS re040's at Two Mills Honda. Got them fitted and immediatley the car felt planted at the rear no more wobbling and weaving.

I came home and while some more searching I found a company in essex (ELITE) had a full set of the re040's for the nsx. So now I have a spare set.
    BTW out of interest I compared the side walls by puting my hand inside the rim and moving up and down. I found with a little force the F1's sidewalls flexed by about 1/4 inch pretty normal really. But with much greater force the 040's sidewalls just didnot flex.

I think in my case having oem tyres on the front exacerbated the F1's flexing. It would have been better to have the same tyres front and rear.

I think this points to the 'usefullness' of group tyre tests.
    I am running RE040's front RE050's rear on 16/17 and they feel just like the RE010HO, James tries the same on 17/17 and has completely different experience.

Just a quick check, what are the speed and load ratings on your tyres ??

It makes a BIG difference, also what specification are the tyres, I am using the BZ's (ie OEM Mercedes fitment) as different designations refer to different compounds.

Bridgestone always said that only ES02JZ's were to be used on the S2000 even though the OEM size was available in different designations, then they recommended the RE050 which was then not embraced by the S2ki community. On the 17/17 combo of the 2004+ S2000 Honda went for RE050MZ as OEM fitment, supply issues have now meant Bridgestone recommend the Alfa Romeo OEM fitment tyre for the front with the MZ on the rear.

How confusing can you get ??

Quote Originally Posted by Papalazarou View Post
    After my last post, I had some RE050A's fitted to the rear and at the moment it's a handling nightmare! The tracking's right and with the previous RE040's on the rear the car felt fantastic. Not sure whether to wait it out and see whether the handling improves or get some RE050's for the front to try to even things up a bit. Don't really want to do JF with dodgy handling!

I personally blame Bridgestone for changing tyres specs every 5 seconds. Bring back RE010's. Now that was a great tyre.

Cheers,

James.
    ****1997 3.2 Orange / Black SOLD****

Previously driven by.........

Jeremy Clarkson, Tim Harvey, Richard Burns (RIP), Jason Plato, Harvey Postlethwaite (RIP), Manfred Wollgarten, Dirk Schoysman, Barrie Williams.

Nurburgring lap time 8:38 - Honda NSX (sport auto, 08/97)

Simon, the rears are Y rated and to my eyes look completely different to the 040's they replaced. The invoice says RE 050 94Y.

Cheers,

James.
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234