Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2008 planned mods

Quote Originally Posted by simonprelude View Post
    That is the fender scoop I was talking about Simon.

I don't think any direct comparisons can be made between TDI, Surrey Rolling Road and Power Engineering at Uxbridge. They all measure in different ways so will not give the same figures.

We need to decide which Rolling Road will be the NSX one of choice and stick with it

TDI to me seem to be the most professional, unfortunately they are also the furthest away from me buy I am willing to ignore that part for the good of NSX further development within the club.
    Guys, here's an attempt to allow us to compare the the 3 dyno facilities used... See attached spreadsheet

The assumptions were...
    The Rototest kit (at TDI) produces the most acurate results.
    Rototest say "on average" comparisons between their at the hub measurement and the manufacturers at the flywheel claims are 10%, hence the 1.1 upscale suggestion. I used 9% or 1.09 to err on the conservative side.
    I used Paul's (Senninah) car as the link to the 2006 Power Engineering day the applied the same conversion ratios to the other cars present on that day.
    I used Noel's (NoelWatson) car as the link to the 2008 SRR day and applied the same conversion ratios to the cars present that day.

Observations...
    The unmodified 3.2Ltr cars of SimonPrelude (Simon), Lankstarr (Luke), Boomin33 () TheQuietOne (Matt) and NSX 2000 (Paul with W2) are remarkably similar! BHP varies just 7bhp and torque by just 5ft/lbs. If you exclude the largest single variable for each, it drops to just 4bhp and 2ft/lbs!!!
    The unmodified 3.0Ltr cars are also pretty close.

The 3.2Ltr crs fitted with aftermarket exhausts and/or airboxes made approx 15hp and 7-8ft/lbs.
    The 3.0Ltr cars fitted with aftermarkets manifolds(headers), exhausts and/or airboxes made 25-30hp and 10ft/lbs

The results from the 2006 Power Engineering day would appear to be a bit low.
    The SRR day gave fractionally high results.

What have we proved...
    Confirmation that exhaust and headers help pretty significantly.
    Inlet/airbox modifications may help. More tests needed.
    Possible other inlet restriction (throttle body) to be investigated.

Mark
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TDI_RR_comparison.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	3548  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by markc; 16-04-2008 at 10:50 AM. Reason: added pic of table for those without Excel

Quote Originally Posted by markc View Post
    Guys, here's an attempt to allow us to compare the the 3 dyno facilities used... See attached spreadsheet

The assumptions were...
    The Rototest kit (at TDI) produces the most acurate results.
    Rototest say "on average" comparisons between their at the hub measurement and the manufacturers at the flywheel claims are 10%, hence the 1.1 upscale suggestion. I used 9% or 1.09 to err on the conservative side.
    I used Paul's (Senninah) car as the link to the 2006 Power Engineering day the applied the same conversion ratios to the other cars present on that day.
    I used Noel's (NoelWatson) car as the link to the 2008 SRR day and applied the same conversion ratios to the cars present that day.

Observations...
    The unmodified 3.2Ltr cars of SimonPrelude (Simon), Lankstarr (Luke), Boomin33 () TheQuietOne (Matt) and NSX 2000 (Paul with W2) are remarkably similar! BHP varies just 7bhp and torque by just 5ft/lbs. If you exclude the largest single variable for each, it drops to just 4bhp and 2ft/lbs!!!
    The unmodified 3.0Ltr cars are also pretty close.

The 3.2Ltr crs fitted with aftermarket exhausts and/or airboxes made approx 15hp and 7-8ft/lbs.
    The 3.0Ltr cars fitted with aftermarkets manifolds(headers), exhausts and/or airboxes made 25-30hp and 10ft/lbs

The results from the 2006 Power Engineering day would appear to be a bit low.
    The SRR day gave fractionally high results.

What have we proved...
    Confirmation that exhaust and headers help pretty significantly.
    Inlet/airbox modifications may help. More tests needed.
    Possible other inlet restriction (throttle body) to be investigated.

Mark
    Sums it up perfectly!

Science of Speed listing stages of modifications

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produc..._power_stages/

I think Stage 1 is my limit

They claim 6.9 bhp for this, but say it shouldn't be used in heavy rain!! If Marc gets this, his "high compression" Type S may well take the lead.

What about this as well ??
    This is also part of the Procar set-up. The theory is that it will induce a ram air effect for the larger capacity airbox.

As for driving in the rain its simple, just slow down! I've been out in very heavy rainful without a problem, Even crossed througha ford without issue.
    Last edited by Senninha; 09-04-2008 at 10:21 PM.
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

Default Power gains

My .02

I/H/E give gains. Obviously any production manufacturer has to honour silly regs rather than make an engine more driveable.

If I had my time again I would get the head flowed and change cams. Yes you will see gains from induction systems but they are variable and more importantly the gains might only be apparent in a certain rpm range. More fuel/air mixture is great, however you need to be able to burn it. I dont know how optimised the NSX's cams are or what sort of valve area is possible but I am sure SOS does.

Give them a call, bigger valves and more aggresive cams would be my call.
    Guardian of 'POB'

Default Spare TB's

If anyone is interested in stating th ball rolling, Dirk has both versions of the TB available. So, if we could find an engineering centre, or maybe TDI can do the work?, these could be bought and modified before installation.

The ones removed could then be upgraded and swapped onto the next NSX etc.

I'm sure that as Reg suggests, valves/cams etc would yeild yet more power, but for me, the work has to remain outside of the main engine unit, particular as mine appears to be a good one!!

HTH, Paul
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

Quote Originally Posted by NoelWatson View Post
    They claim 6.9 bhp for this, but say it shouldn't be used in heavy rain!! If Marc gets this, his "high compression" Type S may well take the lead.
    They have to say that as it is in America and if some fool buys it and decides to use his NSX as a boat they want to be cover for hydroloc. I have had two of them and no problems yet.

Cheers,

AR

Quote Originally Posted by Senninha View Post
    If anyone is interested in stating th ball rolling, Dirk has both versions of the TB available. So, if we could find an engineering centre, or maybe TDI can do the work?, these could be bought and modified before installation.

The ones removed could then be upgraded and swapped onto the next NSX etc.

I'm sure that as Reg suggests, valves/cams etc would yeild yet more power, but for me, the work has to remain outside of the main engine unit, particular as mine appears to be a good one!!

HTH, Paul
    Paul,

If anyone here has a TB that they want boring then I can do it. I have bored carb's for race bikes (tapered bells) and have lots of experience with one off machining. I can also draw the TB before and after so it can be re-manufactured or cast.

The issue is how big do you open TB's before the heads wont flow the increased mixture. As for internal work, I agree it is always squeaky bum time when you start to talk about cams and irreversable porting BUT there is a limit to what a bunch of bolt ons can do without the ability to burn the mixture and map the ignition/injectors.

You really need a cheap NSX as a mule as resale wil suffer no matter what gains you achieve with serious mods. I just know there is no point faffing about and money is better spent, has anyone here ever heard/seen a ported NSX with big valves?
    Last edited by reg; 09-04-2008 at 10:48 PM. Reason: because
    Guardian of 'POB'

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast