Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aquaplaning

1. Default

OK, thanks. I've just come off the phone to my tyre fitter and he says that, for the front, only 215 40 16s are available in GYs and not the standard 45% profile.

Can you let me know what you have fitted please?

Default Goodyear F1's wanted

I don't do much wet weather driving, but nevertheless, I still want Goodyear F1's anyway. I've tried to get hold of them for a standard 16/17 combo, but to no avail. Can anyone help me and tell me where I can buy them?

Cheers
    Martin
    Owner of a 1996 Manual NSX Coupe (UK) since 11 June 2004

The feature car in:
    Autocar Supercar supplement (May 2006)
    &
    Classic & Sports Car (November 2000)

I went with 205/45/16 GS-F1 in the front this summer and will change to 245/40/17 (from 255/40) this winter in the rear. My 91 TCS should be fine.

Whatever tyres you have, aqua-planing is a problem due to the unique set up of the car & lightness at the front especially (weight 42% front & 58% rear?). Some tyres are better than others. Alot of owners here vouched for the GY F1 GSD3s being the best due to its unique aqua grooves and the way it disperses water. I have'nt had these fitted yet, but I would be happy fitting them.

If water is a certain depth and continous over a certain length, aqua-planing is unavoidable anyway. I'm on a look out for rear boots soon, but since only use the car when its dry like Simon, Im going down the BS route for ultimate dry weather grip, rather than ultimate wet weather grip in the GY. Tyres to me are either Summer or all year round, so it depends on when you drive your car the most! If I get caught out by a torrential downpour, I would not let the VTEC kick in on any tyre, but would feel safest with GY. HTH
    Last edited by TheSebringOne; 07-12-2007 at 11:17 PM.
    1999 3.2 Manual 6 Spd Coupe
    Honda's Finest Hour

5. Default

James VTEC aint needed to kick the rear out when wet, peak torque is way before vtec and can unstick easily when weighted turning up a sliproad

As for wet weather i just slow the f*ck down on motorways
    THE POWER OF DREAMS.

Brakes are no good- they just slow you down
    (Juan Manuel Fangio)

Being a fan of Honda engines, I later went to Honda's Tochigi Research Center on two occasions and requested that they consider building for the McLaren F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up equipped with a BMW engine.
    (Gordon Murray)

Aquaplaning.

From what I have learnt and been told.

No power, I found with the NSX trailing throttle upset it less than what I have now. Firm grip on the wheel, absolutely no brakes or turning input. Get the wipers on constant les to worry about.

Remember, its water not ice.
    Guardian of 'POB'

7. Default

I certainly had a firm grip on the wheel - dents have only just come out since yesterday morning!
    I'm getting new GYs for the rear tomorrow - standard 245 width.
    The available GYs for the front are only 40% ratio so I'm keeping the Toyos for the time being. Does anyone know the implications of fitting 40s instead of 45s - apart from the 10/11mm difference making them spin faster - is there anything else to consider?
    Richard

8. Default

Nothing is ever easy is it? Goodyear don't make a 215 40 16 tyre so I am now looking at changing the whole lot to Bridgestones REOs and getting all sizes back to standard.
    For those who run GY all round - what do you put on the front please?
    Richard

Dan, what I meant to say is that you need to be gentler on the throttle when theres deep standing surface water or in a torrential down pour. I feel safer if in addition to above, if I avoid the VTEC too.

Richard, all that going down a profile from 45 to 40 at fronts means the front sits a bit lower and the TCS won't be affected as below the 15% tolerance. HTH
    1999 3.2 Manual 6 Spd Coupe
    Honda's Finest Hour

had a little wiggle on my backend when i had 265 lol did think ohh shiit lol
    but now got 295
    not had a prob yet lol
    thx amo

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast