Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice Please

Quote Originally Posted by cas
    Hi,

Had mine done 3 months ago. The problem is what do you want? Basic cam belt change £900 1000 at a Honda dealer( remember they charge £90 - 110 per hour). Proper cam belt change as per NSXprime - shed loads! The proper change means replacing all belts, valve seals, plugs, water pump and lower timing case cover for all pre-97 cars. However, you are quite likely to billed 2.5K and still not have all the parts replaced. Make sure you see all the old parts that have been replaced. Which one to have? If you are going to keep it for ever then do the whole lot. Anything else is a compromise.
    I changed the cam belt on my last NSX as well although i had that done at Two Mills(who are an NSX franchise) in north Wales and when i said i wanted to change the pump at the same time the first question was "WHY".At the time i had my service done with them(about 3 years ago) they said they had never had a water pump failure on an NSX.
    It is only done at the same time as a preventative measure.There is nothing in the service manuals that says the water pump HAS to be changed when changing the cam belt.
    Where is the figure of £900-£1000 coming from?? Other members on here have had their cars done at Honda Dealerships and paid far less than that.
    The car is going up for sale and i simply want to make sure that it is tip-top for the next owner.It just hurts to think that i am going to be stung for 2K for my goodwill gesture,when i and others on here think it should be somewhat less.
    92 brown/blue/gold manual coupe sadly stolen:
    96 Brooklands Green manual T-top.Sadly now sold
    04 Formula Red manual coupe Very sadly sold

Default 72k service costs

Hi Nathan, Ivor,

£1200.00 Was from Alan Day in Portsmouth, very helpful, did explain all aspects of the service and what you get for £750.00 e.g checking valve clearance etc,etc!

£825.00 was Yeomans, they have service my car for the last 5 years with no problems, I did ask them to check about details around the last time my car had a set of plugs etc, so maybe they felt they where not required this time, hence why only a small service? like you say, in some respects you get what you pay for.

I did try to get the £1200.00 quote down some more, was told that it was heavily discounted so they would not be able to come down on that price. I was offered a courtesy car for the whole week due to not being able to get to the dealership during working hours, nice touch, not a real bonus if the car turns out to be a Automatic Jazz!

Nathan,

Yeomans did the cam belt on your car only a couple of years ago so hopefully not required yet? If you call Yeomans in Littlehampton the aftersales managers name is Gordon, he's very helpfull and will probably still remember the car.

Hope this helps, sound like your still enjoying the NSX Nathan.

Cheers

PG

I'm really not sure where these quotes are coming from.

Cambelt change should cost you just over £400.00. If you want the ater pump done, perhaps advisable on a car nearly 60K miles + then buy the water pump from the states, it will cost you £125.00 (UK dealer £395.00) and another 45 minutes labour on top of the cambelt.
    The total cost of this work should cost you no more than £600.00, not a penny more!

I had mine done at Howards Honda in Taunton, but the dealer at Cribbs Causeway near Bristol should be able to offer the same deal.

The reason people change the water pump is because when you've changed the cambelt there may be a bit more stress on the water pump from the new belt. However, I had mine done at around 55K and the water pump that came out was perfect. Probably something to do with a quality part and very good coolant.

I guess it's up to you whether ytou wish to pay another £200.00 including labout to get the water pump done.

As for pump failure, I can think someone who cooked an engines their pump gave out.

Cheers,

James.
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!

4. Default re:cam belt

Hi

Honda Coventry: cam belt £303 + six hours labour ( £600) = £900 its easy if you know how! According to Honda. As for water pump replacement - the service schedule in the service manual states that cam belt must be replaced at 60k and the water pump inspected. But that assumes that the belt is not over 7 years old. So if a car is 12 years old and the belt and water pump are original then its living on borrowed time.

I should also like to point out that the average car is expected to be dead and buried after 14 years. Honda claim that the body of the NSX will last 30 years - I would not expect all the bits inside to last that long.

The original 1991 NSX is 15 years old and will qualifiy for a classic car policy owners of these vehicles should appreiciate that they are going to encounter the most of the problems that face classic car owners.

I really like my NSX and intend to keep for years so I gave it the works! Also you can't skip if your going to thrash it!

Shoreham by Sea, Liege, Moscow! and other interesting places!

My waterpump seized causing a catastrophic engine failure a few years back! cost over £5k after big discounts from Honda for the engine rebuild so worth an extra £200 to prevent a bigger bill.

leigh

Hi

Honda Coventry: cam belt £303 + six hours labour ( £600) = £900 its easy if you know how! According to Honda.

Ok, I'm confused, are you talking about a complete service with tappets, oil change poss. coolant change etc or are you just talking about changing the cambelt? If it's just the cambelt I was charged under £400.00 for mine but I also got a quote from a dealer in Bristol for £411.00.

Cheers,

James.

P.s, just curious, but somewhere on this thread I saw plugs included on a 72K service. According to the manual that's a 60K requirement.

7. Default re:cam belt

Hi,

What I am saying is that their is enormous variation in pricing for the same work. I suspect that some Honda dealers nolonger want to service the car and quote high prices to put customers off. I had the whole lot done waterpump etc becuase I am keeping the car for a long time

Hi,

What I am saying is that their is enormous variation in pricing for the same work. I suspect that some Honda dealers nolonger want to service the car and quote high prices to put customers off. I had the whole lot done waterpump etc becuase I am keeping the car for a long time

I totally agree, there is a massive variation. In fact I have an ongoing dispute with Honda at the moment. Will tell more when I can.

Cheers,

James.

A 72K service is a major service including replacement engine coolant, transmission fluid,brakefluid etc... The cambelt change alone is a days work.
    I'm having an 84k service plus cambelt and ABS/brake fluid change done at 2-Mills Honda next month for £893 all incl.
    The 84k service is an intermediate type service.

The cambelt service on its own is around the 4 hour mark.

Cheers,

James.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast