Thread: Now that Goodyear F1's have gone :-(

Question Now that Goodyear F1's have gone :-(

Hmm... nothing to do with the recent post about tyre date codes on the side wall, more to do with a vague "the front of the car isn't connected to the back anymore" feeling at speed in a straight line - I decided to replace my 4 year old front tyres last week.

Goodyear no longer manufacture their Eagle F1 tyre in 205/50/15 size, which means that those of us with older NSX's ( the ones with the small front wheels ) need to find an alternative. Shame, 'cos the F1 tyre worked like a charm - and even the ones on the back lasted a year or so ( 8-9000 miles )... btw I think that those of you with the new fangled car where all the wheels are the same size are OK...

Tyre Shop Man ( boy, actually ) suggested Toyo Proxes as "the nearest thing we can get" but admitted that they'll wear quicker than the F1's... £145 the pair.

So I've got them up front and a pair of pretty new F1's sticking the back end down...

Seems OK on first drive... any one tried any others or have recommendations?
    "Organ transplants are best left to the professionals"

Thumbs up

I've got the Toyo Proxis TR (Reinforced) in 205.50.15 up front and Goodyear F1 at the back and it seems to work well in the dry and wet. But the Toyos are only speed rated up to 149mph (V). I havent been on the track and I only dared doing 145mph down the A12 (Traffic ahead) but the tread pattern seems closes to the F1s and the tyre reviews seems to rate it (Blackcircle).

SS

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Surfer
    I havent been on the track and I only dared doing XXXmph down the A12. SS
    SS, I know this road well, you were lucky to find enough space and no plain patrol cars!
    Regards
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

I've got michelin's all round on mine, they seem quite hard wearing but there not the grippiest tyres in the world and are noisy, not what I was expecting as the ones I fitted on a previous corvette were soft and quiet.

I struggled with different speed ratings front and rear so now have Avon ZZ3s rear and Goodrich G-Force Profilers at the front. Both W rated with similar 'vee' tread paterns and the car is much more precise feeling and grippy. For OEM 1991 wheels there really is little choise. Beoynd road-legal track tyres the only matched set I believe are Hankook Ventus Sports.
    Steve.

mine are pilot exaltos all round on baby stock 1992 wheels.

I looked at Exaltos but they have stopped making them in the 225/50/16 size. Also I already had the ZZ3's on the back, so I wanted something with a similar water-displacement tread for the fronts. The two seem to work well together. I think I'll do what rkanga did and import some Yoko's from Dali (if he's still around) next year! My only fear would be the age of the tyres.
    Steve.