Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flywheel

Default Flywheel

Now that the dreaded timing belts done and dusted, am looking forward to the next big one, the clutch.

Can anyone tell me if a dual mass flywheel can be reskimmed like back in the day when brake discs and normal flywheels or practically anything with a flat surface could be reskimmed by shaving a millimetre or two off it?

At over 2000 pounds, need to consider alternatives

suggestions anyone?

2. Default

Doesn't help much but we can supply it for £2000 exactly.

It's not the surface that wears on a dual mass flywheel, it's the internal parts / springs that fatigue / break over time which is evident by rattling on idle.

I believe there are companies that re-core flywheels though.

Some companies will weld the masses together though making your DMF a solid flywheel and isn't recommended if you value your transmission.

Obviously some cars come with a solid flywheel as standard but the clutch plate that is used in these kits is very different to the kits supplied to be used with DMFs.

Luk used to make a DMF for the 3.2 (part number 415 0099 10) but it's been discontinued unfortunately. It was £290 + VAT so would have been a big saving.
    Last edited by gcon45; 21-04-2016 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Added info...

Blog Entries

If I were you, I would replace the mainshaft to Type S-zero spec and use the twin disc CL.

You could add aftermarket flywheel but don’t go too light with the inertia if mainly street driving.

I don't know the spec of your Gbox but since you will be opening it for the mainshaft, replace 5-6th gear synchro to double cone type if your gbox No. didn't come with it from the factory.

For your existing 6MT single disc CL, you could re-use the flywheel if it’s not turned into blue surface but you will never be able to get the 'out of the factory' feeling unless you replace it.

Also, the torsion spring is inside the flywheel and not on the friction disc for the single disc CL.
    This will get tired over the years and will cause juddery feeling/sound on launch.

By the way, you would have better chance of getting reply if you post in the Technical forum for this type of question.

Kaz
    Last edited by Kaz-kzukNA1; 21-04-2016 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz-kzukNA1 View Post
    If I were you, I would replace the mainshaft to Type S-zero spec and use the twin disc CL.

Kaz
    Kaz, is there a difference between the S-Zero input shaft and Type-R shaft?

Blog Entries

Same parts but this modification was already there well before the introduction of 02+ NSX-R so known as S-zero shaft in Japan.

Kaz

Ah, ok. Thanks.

still available on ebay but i wudnt trust an aftermarket part in such a vital and difficult to get to part. has to be oem im afraid

Does anyone know if this is the correct part number for the complete clutch assy inc flywheel for 1992 NA1 C30A engine??

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-NSX-...YAAOSwYHxWHezW

And would I need any other parts that aren't included in this kit?? 🤔

Thanks
    Pride.

1992 My beloved Red/Black manual NA1.😎
    1992 Chevy Lumina apv Rockford Fosgate sound system demo van.🙉
    2003 Hartge Mini Cooper S (2 x UK & 1 x European sound quality finals winner) 🏆 

"The NSX's greatest victory was to WIN the 1995 Le Mans 24hr GT2 Class"
    ..............and guess what, it was a RED one but of course.  

Blog Entries

For the CL parts, always check the UK price first. Some of them are cheaper to buy in UK than from abroad especially the release bearing.

For both OEM single and twin disc CL, if you acted early enough, you can re-use the flywheel and just replace the friction discs (plus the CL basket/pressure plate) as long as you are aware that you may not get the 'out of the factory' feeling by not replacing the flywheel and other parts.
    This is something you (if DIY) or the person who is going to replace the CL for you need to decide based on the type of CL being used and also the existing condition.

You can check the parts no. by yourself.

Visit Lings Honda website, enter your VIN or select the Car and Year model.
    Once you found the specific parts diagram, the parts no. will be displayed as PFK*** that is Lings format.
    Go to the address bar of your browser and remove the _pfk and you will have the proper Honda parts no..
    You can also add the parts into the shopping cart and the Honda parts no. will be displayed but it's quicker to delete _pfk if checking multiple parts no..

Kaz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast