Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone experience vibration at idle?

Quote Originally Posted by andystevo View Post
    I reckon my car now vibrates slighty at idle, particularly when cold. Only noticed it after I had the crank pulley & auxiliary belts changed. Also a momentary resonance at 1200rpm when pulling away in first gear (can't replicate it when stationary in neutral i.e. when engine's not under load).
    Car's running absolutely fine (did >1300 miles on the recent Europe Tour without issue).
    see post 2!!!!! alternator belt needs tightening!
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

Quote Originally Posted by britlude View Post
    see post 2!!!!! alternator belt needs tightening!
    ok, ok - belt tension gauge just bought on ebay.
    Great excuse for buying yet another garage tool which I'll likely never use again!
    2001 Honda NSX Indy Yellow SOLD

A friend suggested it could be the plugs- apparently they don't like a lot of cold starts which, with how little my car is used, counts for a lot.

ill try it and report back

Quote Originally Posted by WhyOne? View Post
    I thought that the engine was naturally a little unbalanced at idle?
    It's a 90 degree V6, which is imbalanced even with fudges like offset crankpins and is why it idles like a three-pot and the steering column does vibrate in harmony, especially when cold.

I find it rather an endearing characteristic, its growly rather rough (for a V6) nature. The Toyota V6 in the Evora was just a bit bland.

The J35 in the Leg End has the correct 60 degree included angle and is very smooth and silky. Still has a muted growl in VTEC, though.

In NSX-Ts, it's even more pronounced.
    Nick

“I find myself irresistibly attracted to cars that nobody else buys. The NSX is a classic of the genre because nobody buys it and yet it’s a fantastic car. It’s got a wonderful compactness and simplicity and unpretentiousness to it. Honda rudely continues to make them whether we like it or not, even though there can be no commercial logic in doing so — I thoroughly admire that.” Rowan Atkinson

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12