Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Nsx values

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Papalazarou View Post
    Personally, I'm glad that these cars are beginning to occupy the place they deserve in the automotive ranks. I would however, like to give a big thumbs up to those dissenters, who'd have us drive other cars we don't like for the same money. Or who predicted a bubble that would strangely only affect the NSX. To you I giggle like a girl and dance in circles like a child.

Cheers,
    Loving this comment....
    Formula Red NA2
    Imola Orange NA2
    Yellow NA2

He he, bollocks to bubbles!
    我々の祈り、日本に届きますように。

Yes. Let's giggle with glee! On the Rocket front, I think I'm probably as well qualified to comment on it as anybody as I've written a book on it with the full co-operation of Chris Craft and Gordon Murray, including the latter's personal extensive archive. You couldn't meet more different but top blokes. The book is being designed now and will hopefully be a sister volume to Driving Ambition, the book on the McLaren F1 - also designed by Dr Murray. There are 46 Rockets in the world (well 45 now as David Gilmour's car now in boxes possibly to be put back together again) A lot of them are in Japan. Production started in 1992 and finished in 2011, with massive gaps between them. Mine is one of the last, built by Chris' son Luke. It arrived in 2009. It's tricky to drive but, like the NSX, it's a bespoke work of art. Although often done so, it can't be compared with an Atom. Bit of name dropping here again {sorry) but when I interviewed Jay Leno about his Rocket in comparison to the likes of the Atom his comment was "It's an Audrey Hepburn in a sea of Pamela Andersons" You probably have to be of a certain age but it worked for me!

Bernev

Audrey Hepburn, you say? Where do I sign?

Shame the Rocket disappeared. I presume it's just too hard to develop a channel that allows enough people to make money. Seems the BAC Mono has taken on the ultimate lightweight car mantle. Different kettle of fish, visually, of course.

Like the comment Papa!

As for the Bac Mono, I wonder how many they have actually sold? Especially when you consider their cost!
    1999 3.2 Manual 6 Spd Coupe
    Honda's Finest Hour

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by bernev View Post
    I admit that my NSX has not been used - hence the garage queen comment at the end. And I agree also that it's a crying shame. It's just that there isn't enough time or money to do everything at the moment. I'm in the fortunate position of having a lot of motorbikes all vying for my attention and, when it comes to car-time, then my LCC Rocket always wins the day over the NSX. HOWEVER, I am very conscious that there is a very talented car in the garage and that not using it is not good for its health. Hence my decision this year to get it MOT'd (they just gasped at it really) and go for occasional longish drives. Indeed, I went out on my favorite route into Wales immediately after doing similarly in the Rocket and found that the times taken for the loop were remarkably similar - and the Rocket is insane. Also, mindful of Nobby's comment that they are meant to be driven, I have booked the car in with Kaz for the "full works" to ensure that, when I do use it properly again, it will be in the best possible health. As, like many others, I didn't buy it as an investment. More as a work of art actually. And I will never sell it so the investment issue is neither here nor there for me unless I HAVE to sell it. And talking of Kaz, I feel privileged to be able to use his services and not worry about having to go to Honda franchises.....Mastery is worth paying for.

Bernev
    I completely agree with this and your first post. I bought mine as a store of capital, as I have strong conviction the value will outperform given it's rapidly accelerating modern classic status, senna connection, new model, analogue charms and international appeal.

funnily enough I have also been in touch with kAz to ensure the car is indeed in the excellent mechanical health I believe it to be.

Where the op has bikes I also have other cars soon to include a 911 gt3 cup car for racing (exciting!) some of which are slow and enjoyable for other reasons ('68 Mini Cooper) some faster and more furious than the NSX. To me, 'made to use' need not be demarked by annual mileage. I'd rather focus on an adventure, an epic drive, a European road trip, a country blast that endless mundane journeys. While the car is an 'event' it's too hard for me to enjoy that day to day.

Mine will remain a garage queen, but rest assured when pulled into service it will be driven appropriately.

Yes, the NSX is appreciating (facelift cars especially so), but the whole market has in the last few years (supercars and near-classics, anyway), and the NSX hasn't been exceptional in that regard. That said, it IS now recognised as a classic, so values are unlikely to fall. I'd stop short of calling it an investment though...plenty of better cars to put £20-50k into than this one...

...which I'm glad of, as I'm firmly in the 'drive it' camp - 16k miles in 3.5 years here, but most in the first 2.5 years as we've got a child now, which restricts road-trips for a while. So I'm using her when/where I can - 4 trips to work last month, 1 weekend drive for the hell of it, Silverstone Classic x3 plus a couple of local car meets. The car is so easy to drive, it seems silly NOT to use her just because it might rain, or because it's a mundane journey, or because it's an effort to get her out of the garage.

I understand the 'special' comments...but unless you've a proper very-low-miler you want to keep that way purely AS an investment (shame on you! ), then why waste the opportunities...you never know what might happen in the future.

Overall though, pleasantly surprised that the appreciation in value has probably 80% covered the refurb/maintenance bills I've paid out over these last 3 years.
    "No man with a good car needs to be justified"

Blue '08 FD2 CTR - big, ITR-sized shoes to fill...
    Yellow '96 NSX 3.0 - oh was it worth the wait!
    Black '99 ITR - well, I had to have another one, the first was so much fun. Miss this one even more than #1...
    Blue '03 S2000 - SOLD, flawed but fun
    Blue '04 Focus TDCi Sport - SOLD, very good fun for a diesel!
    Black '00 ITR - SOLD, still missed
    Red '98 Civic VTi - SOLD, probably still bombproof

Quote Originally Posted by havoc View Post
    I'd stop short of calling it an investment though...plenty of better cars to put £20-50k into than this one...
    Which ones?

Lotus Elan Sprint.

great post mate ... very well put

Quote Originally Posted by havoc View Post
    Yes, the NSX is appreciating (facelift cars especially so), but the whole market has in the last few years (supercars and near-classics, anyway), and the NSX hasn't been exceptional in that regard. That said, it IS now recognised as a classic, so values are unlikely to fall. I'd stop short of calling it an investment though...plenty of better cars to put £20-50k into than this one...

...which I'm glad of, as I'm firmly in the 'drive it' camp - 16k miles in 3.5 years here, but most in the first 2.5 years as we've got a child now, which restricts road-trips for a while. So I'm using her when/where I can - 4 trips to work last month, 1 weekend drive for the hell of it, Silverstone Classic x3 plus a couple of local car meets. The car is so easy to drive, it seems silly NOT to use her just because it might rain, or because it's a mundane journey, or because it's an effort to get her out of the garage.

I understand the 'special' comments...but unless you've a proper very-low-miler you want to keep that way purely AS an investment (shame on you! ), then why waste the opportunities...you never know what might happen in the future.

Overall though, pleasantly surprised that the appreciation in value has probably 80% covered the refurb/maintenance bills I've paid out over these last 3 years.
    "The value of life can be measured by how many times you soul has been deeply stirred" - Soichiro Honda

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast