Quote Originally Posted by Pride View Post
Hi goldnsx, sorry to see you had a tough day but so far your repair thread looks amazing, you're obviously a competent automotive engineer/mechanic.

I'm just about to replace my complete clutch assy including new fork, release bearing and its guide shaft.
How much urea grease did you manage to put into the release bearing groove before you felt it was a sufficient amount???

Also what do you mean by "initialise" the clutch before mounting the transmission???

Cheers.
Hi Pride

A 'normal' mechanic would have filled the groove of the release bearing by the SM and wouldn't think about it. Well, it's not his car. I watched a lot of videos on youtube and all say that too much is bad. The release bearing fits tight on its guide (but slides without any resistance of course) that it only holds a small film of UREA grease on the guide except for the groove in the release bearing itself. First, I've put a small film (barely visible) of UREA grease on the guide. Then, I've filled the groove and took care that it was only slightly more than expected. I then tried to catch any overmuch grease with my flat finger around the inside of the release bearing but not too deep in there, just until the groove where you don't want to remove the grease again. This procedure has been done from both sides of the release bearing. I then testfitted it on the guide. It looked like in pic 3 in #42. At the end you can see a ring of green UREA grease which I wipped off in the end. Not sure what Kaz would recommend here? When I took the release bearing off the guide. After this the groove looked like in pic 1 in #42. The grease in the groove seems to be 'sucked' out of the groove partially.

ATR
Yes, I forgot the bloddy release bearing fork. Asylum forgot it, I forgot it. I hope Pride won't forget it too. Will have to take the gearbox off again, initialize the clutch, mount the fork and on we go with a second attempt to fit the gearbox on the engine.

Initializing the clutch
See 12-16 in the SM. After you've installed the clutch you screw in three small screws (I guess the ones of the cover, well not too long as you have to turn the flywheel for this procedure) in the flywheel from the engine side by hand until they touch. Then you turn the screws by 180 degrees +-30. I recall that if you have done that on one screw the others are very light then. It looked like the mid plate moved parallel to the trans side.

Happy motoring!