Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: NSX vs 355

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Surfer View Post
    There must be more F355s in the UK than there are NSXs ...
    Very probably. The F355 cost about £84K new in 1994 while the NSX cost about £65K, most people in the UK with that kind of money were happier to spend it on a Ferrari so a higher proportion of the 18,000 made probably came here.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Sorry i disagree.I had my first NSX for 2.5 years and it was my only car.It was driven come sun,rain or snow.It can definately be used as a daily driver.
    Try that in a Ferrari and the costs(and depreciation)would be huge.
    I didn't say it couldn't be used as a daily driver but these days (now that most NSX's are more than 12 yrs old) high performance cars of this age are unlikely to be used as true daily drivers. The F355 can be considered affordable when used in as a second or occasional car.

Check the comment regarding parts prices here... http://www.compucars.co.uk/car-revie...i/review/?f355

Quote Originally Posted by NSX 2000 View Post
    At launch it was praised as compared to the 348 it was beauty and the beast, but since then it has been by far eclipsed by the 360, 430 and now 458. So when it is reviewed now people see it as a patched up 348.
    The 355 is based on the 348 but is much more than a facelift. Read the performance comparison here... http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/...inetta/200080/

Sure it's been surpassed by subsequent models but you'd expect that wouldn't you. As I said, IF ONLY the NSX had as much development

The F355 is about the only modern'ish Ferrari I'd want to own.

Cheers

Mark
    The older I get, the faster I was

Quote Originally Posted by markc View Post
    Very probably. The F355 cost about £84K new in 1994 while the NSX cost about £65K, most people in the UK with that kind of money were happier to spend it on a Ferrari so a higher proportion of the 18,000 made probably came here.

I didn't say it couldn't be used as a daily driver but these days (now that most NSX's are more than 12 yrs old) high performance cars of this age are unlikely to be used as true daily drivers. The F355 can be considered affordable when used in as a second or occasional car.

Check the comment regarding parts prices here... http://www.compucars.co.uk/car-revie...i/review/?f355

The 355 is based on the 348 but is much more than a facelift. Read the performance comparison here... http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/...inetta/200080/

Sure it's been surpassed by subsequent models but you'd expect that wouldn't you. As I said, IF ONLY the NSX had as much development

The F355 is about the only modern'ish Ferrari I'd want to own.

Cheers

Mark
    "To get a grasp of the F355’s shattering pace you need to look beyond the realms of ‘ordinary’ supercars like the 911 and NSX"

Unless the NSX in question is the 2002 press car, that managed to cover the standing km in 22.8 seconds at 145mph, and quarter in 13 seconds at 111mph. I would love to know where that car went.

Checking the comparison on Autotrader, now all is clear,

How fast
    ______________FERRARI F355_________ HONDA NSX
    0 to 62mph____ 4.7 seconds___________7.5 seconds
    Top Speed_____ 183 mph______________162 mph
    Engine power___ 380 bhp______________ 256 bhp

m666 edd Guest

For info:

1139 355's vs 389 NSX's were MOT'd in 2007 according to the dvla data.

Quote Originally Posted by m666 edd View Post
    For info:

1139 355's vs 389 NSX's were MOT'd in 2007 according to the dvla data.
    3:1 Ratio then and a shorter production life than our beloved.
    ------------------
    2004 3.2 Man, Formula Red. Now Sold and not missed as much as expected. Life goes on.

6. Default

I can Confirm that a NSX NA1 is faster than a Ferrari 355 F1.

Yes that is correct the F1 spec also

To be fair i was in his slip stream, but i had a passenger who isnt the lightest of passenger either.

Even had to back off the throttle.

One thing i will say is that the sound of the Ferrari won hands down!

Quote Originally Posted by jaffaz32 View Post
    I can Confirm that a NSX NA1 is faster than a Ferrari 355 F1.
    Sorry Jaffaz32, you're wrong. Either the F355 in question was sick or the driver wasn't completely on it.

There's not a huge amount in it but a heathly F355 will slowly pull away from any standard NSX short of an NA2 NSX-R.

Cheers

Mark

I agree with Mark, most car magazines at the time of the release of the 355 puts the 0-60 times at 4.7. Thats quicker than a standard NA1 and NA2.
    1999 3.2 Manual 6 Spd Coupe
    Honda's Finest Hour

One particular personal comparison stands out for me.

We (myself, NSX2000, Lankstar, Kevin, Mo?) were at an unofficial NSX track day at Bedford Autodrome a couple of years ago. Also there was an F355 Spider.

A couple of points to clarify. Allegedly the F355 Spider weighs the same as the GTB/GTS models but was running hood down. Bare in mind that my car is a 1) an NA2 and 2) firmer and a bit lighter than a UK spec NSX.

Late in the day I went out on track and toward the end of my 1st lap the F355 started to close up on me. I was almost up to full temperature/speed so I didn't immediately let him past but after a couple of corners it was clear that he was "on it" so I let him through and proceeded to follow. We ran nose to tail for the next 15mins

It was interesting to compare the relative performance of our cars. The F355 definitely had a small advantage out of the slower corners pulling several meters on me, while I seemed to close toward the end of 3rd and into 4th gear sections. I put the latter down to his inferior aerodynamics running hood down.

Eventually he pulled into the pits while I ran another couple of laps before coming in. I then bumped into Ferrari man while perusing the official photographers shots from the day. Ferrari man picked me out, "Ahh you were the guy in the orange NSX... nothing in it was there", we chatted.

Turns out that we we're both pretty old hands at track days and agreed that our skill level, or lack of it, was similar. Both cars were running normal road tyres and standard factory spec except for better brake pads (both cars) and in my case a better exhaust. We also agreed that neither of us could run maximum attack under braking for more that a lap or so, so we were at maybe 90% in the braking areas. So the car comparison was fair.

It's actually quite rare to find almost standard F355 Ferrari's being driven at or near their maximum at track days. Many are baby'd or their owner/drivers too new to track days to go quickly OR are dedicated track cars, running big brakes and sticky tyres, trailered to the track, these cars are FAST.

There really was soo little in it that you could say the cars were dead even

Cheers

Mark

Useful Mark, thanks.

I can believe a 3.2 is 'within a fag paper' of a 355 in overall performance - I've read a few sources which suggest that the "380bhp" tends to be a little optimistic.

Oh, and just to clarify for any others who may not have been on-track (apologies if teaching anyone to suck eggs), the "out of slow corners" bit would apply even NSX vs NSX, due to when the respective cars can start accelerating.
    "No man with a good car needs to be justified"

Blue '08 FD2 CTR - big, ITR-sized shoes to fill...
    Yellow '96 NSX 3.0 - oh was it worth the wait!
    Black '99 ITR - well, I had to have another one, the first was so much fun. Miss this one even more than #1...
    Blue '03 S2000 - SOLD, flawed but fun
    Blue '04 Focus TDCi Sport - SOLD, very good fun for a diesel!
    Black '00 ITR - SOLD, still missed
    Red '98 Civic VTi - SOLD, probably still bombproof

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast