Thread: brake fluid service

Default brake fluid service

Hi to all,

Im planning to have the brake fluid service, which brands should I use on my 02 nsx?

regards
    phillip

Blog Entries

Hi, Phillip.

If your NSX is mainly used for the street driving purpose, then any brake fluid with DOT approved DOT 3 or 4 from major oil/chemical companies are good enough for production cars.

Just don’t use DOT 5 – Silicone based one [Edit: on our NSX].

DOT 5.1 – Non-Silicone based one is fine.

It is more important to replace the fluid regularly than the brand for street driving purpose because at the end of the day, it has cleared the DOT spec requirements.

It even includes the spec on the product label as well.

If you track your NSX regularly or if you have several track events in a short period, then investing into expensive so called ‘racing brake fluid’ may result in more cost effective than replacing the normal brake fluid after every event.

Kaz
    Last edited by Kaz-kzukNA1; 17-06-2011 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Added [Edit:] section.

Thanks for that Kaz.

Phillip

Wise words as ever from Kaz

I replace my fluid at the start of each year (springtime) and then again after any trackday I do. Trackdays murder the fluid, and pads to a lesser degree, and the pedal will feel horrible on the way home. Assuming the pads still have plenty of meat on them in my experience they'll recover with a bit of normal road use but the fluid won't and has to be replaced.

For the record I use Castrol Super Dot 4 as it's easy to get and seems to work as well as anything.

Cheers

Mark
    The older I get, the faster I was