Thread: spare tyre......

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

does this imply that if you can find the same type of tyre on any other wheel that it can be removed and refitted on the NSX spare rim ?

Sorry if I seem obtuse

Mike

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by sorepaws View Post
    does this imply that if you can find the same type of tyre on any other wheel that it can be removed and refitted on the NSX spare rim ?

Sorry if I seem obtuse

Mike
    It would be great if that were the case as i would guess that most of have a decent rim, just not the tyre.

well.... there is no implication, it's what I did!

i bought a tyre off a porsche 944 space saver, the person i bought it off had removed said tyre and then sent it to me. I then got my local friendly tyre-fitters to have a go at taking the tyre off the nsx spare and fitting the 944 tyre.

the only issue was that the tyre fitters hadn't done it before (they now have) and were reluctant to try. I told them to have a go as there was nothing to lose, if it hadn't worked I'd have a nsx spare with no tyre which is pretty much as good as a nsx spare with a tyre I didn't want to use! if it had gone pear shaped I'd have gone with the Duncan MB spare mod!

there doesn't seem to be any obvious reason why the tyres are not available to buy individually, only as wheel/tyre combinations.(apart from an amazing mark-up opportunity)
    Last edited by britlude; 07-12-2021 at 02:41 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

4. Default

Just to update this thread. I have just done exactly the same as the OP. I bought a brand new Mercedes space saver off ebay. There seem to be lots for sale. Mine was brand new for £35 inc delivery. The tyre is a Vredstein space master 165 15" 89y and although the tyre fitter had not done one before, he started by taking the redundant old hondatyre off the Honda rim, which was easy. It was also easy to remove the new Vredstein from the merc rim but a little harder to refit the new tyre to the Honda rim. Nothing a bit of lube and persuasion could not sort out and it inflated fully and properly on the rim.

I really do hope no one has handed a grand to Honda for the pleasure. This is the easy route to refreshing the space saver for peanuts.

just to resurrect and old thread, this is also something I am looking at doing, just need to find a tyre place near me that fancies having a go.

Cheers,

Jim
    1992 NSX, 3.0 Manual, (Was Sebring Silver) Now Kaiser Silver

2018 Jaguar XE, 2.0 R-Sport 250, Loire Blue.

2013 Kawazaki ER6F, Metalic Green.

Out of curiosity, what are people using as the donor for the replacement spares? The MB rim / tire space saver combinations that I could find in the 165 -15 89 size were all from MB products in the 1997 - 2004 range. Under the best of circumstances that is only 4 years newer than the space saver on my 2000. Does anybody know of a newer donor vehicle which uses this size spare?

Quote Originally Posted by Old guy View Post
    Out of curiosity, what are people using as the donor for the replacement spares? The MB rim / tire space saver combinations that I could find in the 165 -15 89 size were all from MB products in the 1997 - 2004 range. Under the best of circumstances that is only 4 years newer than the space saver on my 2000. Does anybody know of a newer donor vehicle which uses this size spare?
    For me, it looks lie the Mercedes C Class use the vredstein in the size we need. Possibly Porsche too

(I'll let you know more if I can get this to work).

Cheers,
    Jim
    1992 NSX, 3.0 Manual, (Was Sebring Silver) Now Kaiser Silver

2018 Jaguar XE, 2.0 R-Sport 250, Loire Blue.

2013 Kawazaki ER6F, Metalic Green.

Quote Originally Posted by Old guy View Post
    Under the best of circumstances that is only 4 years newer than the space saver on my 2000.
    that is indeed true, but on the merc they live in a dark cool boot, on the NSX they are heat cycled with every drive....

Quote Originally Posted by mutley View Post

(he did say it was a bit of a pain and doesn't fancy doing it again any time soon HAHA)

much the same as mine... even tho he ended up doing several nsx!!!!
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....