Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: boot struts (really dull)

1. Default

awesome find britlude :shock:

I'll let Mark at Dali know - he can get his stock from there in future!

G & M Honda Gravesend
    Milton Road Garage
    Milton Road
    Gravesend
    Kent
    DA12 2PP
    Tel 01474 365026
    Fax 01474 328730

info@gravesend-honda.co.uk
    Darren Ferneyhough

http://today.nsedreams.com
    Working with a growing team improving health, wealth & prosperity.
    If you know someone that wants or needs to improve any of these
    areas please connect them with me via my LinkedIn profile above

2. Default

by the way, is that £28.33 + vat (£33.29) per pair?

if not, and that price is for singles then you are looking at £66.58, which in dollars is $116.87 (in order to compare with Dali prices)

so could you clarify whether this is per side or per pair?
    and are they with balls or without?

still a damn good price whatever, as almost every OEM item have ever needed has always been cheaper from the states.

cheers
    Darren Ferneyhough

Hi, I ordered them today, and with a cheeky request for discount, it'll be £60 for 2 inc. VAT, pick them up tuesday!

Don't come with the balls though, that's a seperate part number..

I found out they were reasonable when I ordered glass hatch struts from honda, but the import EPC had the wrong part number (had the boot ones in it's place) so they were ordered in by mistake, ironically I sent them back, and got the hatch ones from Dali ( as they were half the price of honda UK)...

now , typically, I need the boot ones since it got cold!

4. Default

nice negotiating! - at current exchange thats only $102.

the convenience factor probably makes up for the $5 premium over Dali prices and/or makes up any shipping cost differences.

let us know how hard it is to swap the balls from the old struts to the new ones could you?
    Darren Ferneyhough

I don't feel too bad about that then, they should be fitted very soon.

Thanks again
    Best Wishes

Will.

Default boot gas rams... a quick how to...!

Hi, I got the gas rams today, and armed with a 12mm spanner and a small flat screw driver I set to work... now the rams are held on by an E-clip at the boot end, and the ball joint at the car end. after removing the e-clip with the screwdriver, and being careful not to launch it down the drive when it twanged off, I then undid the ball from the car with the spanner, and about 3 minutes later one ram was off..

Retreating to the garage, as it was warmer, I then proceded to remove the ball.. well, I would have done had it not been for a design feature by honda... inside the gas-ram 'cup' there's a small snap ring ( and NSX's are famous for them!) when assembling the joint, this snap-ring butts up to a square edge, the circular ball eases it open, and it 'snaps' together.. all fine and dandy.. however, if the ball is pulled out, the snapring is pulled up a taper, locking it solid, effectively a one way joint the ball can push in, but not pull out (unlike every other ball/socket joint in the history of engineering!). Not a problem, my struts are useless, so no qualms about a quick saw cut and the ball is free! the re-assembly is simple, screw the ball back into the car, slide on the top joint and refit the e-clip, minding your fingers, and just snap the ball joint together, easy!

Repeat for the other side, with the extra bit of removing the wire clip for the brake light! I done this all holding the boot up with my head, though you could use a broom handle or willing volunteer.

All in all, with the added time of cutting the balls out... about 25 minutes total, if you buy them with the balls aswell, you are probably looking at 10. Not complicated in any way. Obviously it will take longer if you have to look for a launched e-clip!

So, I hope that helps, and recommend buying the balls as well, it'll make life so much easier!

I was quoted about £180 for a pr of glass hatch struts by my local dealer who would only allow a 5% discount. I have just had them regassed instead by http://www.sgs-engineering.com They are in Derby, charge was £45pr inc delivery & VAT with immediate turnaround - ask for Andy. They will also supply new units for about £100.

I have seen a number of interest alternative UK/International based suppliers for small/large expensive items and or services post on NSXCB over the last 6 months. Would there be any support for an area within the vendors area to list these suppliers, so that they can be accessed by all.

I for one would be very interested in such a list.

Jim
    91' NSX Red and Black. 92,000 miles

Me too, although the search tool is your aid it is still sometimes hard to find things when you need them!

I'll vote for an 'alternative' supplier list!
    From my mentor: 'Remember, with great power, comes great responsibility' K.Cooke 2007

Good morning all,

I am so glad this question has popped up, guess what? yep mine have gone as well, but as I don't use the boot much and have other priority problems to sort out, it has answered a question before I had to ask it. Nice one.
    1992 NSX, 3.0 Manual, (Was Sebring Silver) Now Kaiser Silver

2018 Jaguar XE, 2.0 R-Sport 250, Loire Blue.

2013 Kawazaki ER6F, Metalic Green.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12