Thread: NSX Technical and Service Information Index

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Default

Hi Kaz

Car just failed MOT worn front lower passingerside ball joint. It seems Honda do't do ball joints and the whole knuckle has to be replaced. Have you ever replaced one one these ball joints? Is a the knuckle on a LHD drive car the same as on a RHD?

regards

Claudio

Blog Entries

Play at the ball joint especailly at the front lower section is quite common on NSX.
    It is due to the way the damper is mounted compared to the rear.

If you gather 10 NSX, at least one of them will have some play even without being noticed by the owner.

RHD and LHD NSX share the same Knuckle but you need to be careful as there are different spec depending on the Year model as well as NSX-T/Coupe/NSX-R.

New parts are not cheap, I'm afraid....
    Last time when I checked, they were about US$600 - 700 + delivery/duty/tax from Acura and about GBP800 - 900 + VAT from Honda UK.

There is a person on NSX Prime who can replace the ball joint for you.
    He seems to have very good feedback from other Prime members.
    Forgot his member name but if you search on Prime with 'ball joint', you will find him.

I think one of the member here considered using his service but not sure whether he went ahead or not.
    May be, it was our member 'mutely'??

Although I have separated the ball joints at the knuckle several times, I have never replaced the actual ball joint because as you found out, it is not sold separately from Honda and I don't know the cost effective method.

Again, on Prime, there was another member who used aftermarket ball joint from Japanese manufacture 'Sankei' and replaced his ball joint with small extra mod.
    Sankei is a very reputable company and OEM quality so good option. They sell their products under '555' brand.

By the way, if you are sending your knucle to US, just separating the ball joint is something you don't want to do by yourself everyday.

Even with the correct tool, you are going to sruggle because it is 'super & mega' tight and there is always a risk of damaging the ball joint pin.

By the way, in order to keep this thread as an 'Index page' and not for posting the technical questions, best to start a separate thread for any question.

Even better if you contact me through the Blog section as I normally focus in that area these days and not on the Forum.

Kaz