Thread: Airbag light fitting Harnesses

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Default Airbag light fitting Harnesses

After removing the factory seatbelt and fitting Harnesses i now have a SRS light on the dash.

When i fitted my aftermarket steering wheel i got supplied with the kit a jumper pin with instructions to jump two pins in the plug to stop it throwing a light up for removing the factory air bag steering wheel.

Is there similar proccedure when removing factory seatbelts?

What is the trick? i remember speaking to someone some time ago when i was thinking about fitting the harnesses and they said that you have to fit a relay or a jumper on some pins, but what is it exactly i need to do? and is it to both sides? (both left and right seat belts)

Thanks.

Why did you remove the OEM belts? Harnesses are ok for track, show or bling, etc but on the road, unless you are wearing a HANS device, is a bit dangerous.

I'm no harness expert so cant comment on all that stuff lol

But is it just the SRS light on the dash thats bothering you? If it is just take the bulb out!

If you have passenger air bag and still want that to work, then yeah you will probably need some type of jumper wire.
    “Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.”

後は、残っているものに関係なく、不可能なことを排除する方法 ありそうもない、真実でなければなりません。

Blog Entries

Not sure on the detail of your NSX but for JDM, from Feb/93 model onwards, the seat belt pre-tensioner system was instroduced for both the driver and passenger side.

These were connected in parallel to the SRS system so if you removed even just one side, it would trigger the SRS warning light.

I hope the person who removed the system placed the Red short connector to the pre-tensioner socket to prevent the accidental explosion.

I won’t comment on the method on how to disable the SRS light for the pre-tensioner system as I don’t know whether it is illegal or not to remove the ELR seat belts in UK.

In Japan, it is illegal to drive without wearing the 2 or 3 points ELR seat belt on the public road.
    Therefore, even if you were wearing the 4 - 6 points harness belt, you will be penalised.

Also, your car won’t pass the Japanese MOT unless you kept the 2 - 3 points ELR seat belt addition to your newly installed harness one.

Personally, I agree with Ary.
    It is too dangerous to drive with 4 - 6 points harness belt on the public road but it is just my view.

I used to be on track every 2 weeks for Safety and Medical car operation and I was wearing the 6 points harness (but without the HANS device) so I understand the huge benefits of this type of belts.

However, I’ll never wear the 6 points on public road.

Again, as my personal view, a car is likely to turnover more on the public road than on track and the chances of objects hitting the cabin area would be significantly higher on the public road.

Something that you could have avoided by moving your head & body towards the passenger side would most likely to hit you if you were wearing the multi points harness belt on the public road. You can’t move your body at all especially if you were in the bucket seat with race harness belt …

Obviously, never ever wear this type of harness belt without the roll bar/cage or similar device on open top, roadstar models….

Kaz

5. Default

The seats i've fitted are Bride Gias seats.

I know bucket seats arn't everyone's cup of tea and i don't like the majority of them but the Gias are an exception. Anyway i wouldn't want to use the factory seat belts with them as they would rub and ruin the seats. Plus it would look daft having them with factory belts.

I have an Harness bar and the belts are Takata's so they are a good quality harness one of the best availible. They are installed correctly. i.e. they come out the back of the seats and attatched to the bar directly behind the opening of the holes in the seats for harnesses. Harnesses are dangerous when not installed correctly and attached directly to the floor from the back of the seat.

More and more sporty road cars come with Harnesses from the factory these days.

It is legal for a UK road car to have harnesses. The car will pass an mot with them installed.

I have installed the red plastic jumpers on the oem belts when i removed them, i wasn't sure what they were for so consulted the manual.

Could you please explain the method for properly fixing the light on the dash with harnesses. My car must be the model with the SRS option as this only happened when removing the oem steat belts.

Removing the oem seat belts is no more dangerous (if done correctly) and possibly even safer than removing the oem steering wheel which many owners on this forum have done for the momo version to replicate the type r setup. The Momo sterring has no airbag as where the oem does and this is seen as an acceptable mod on the forum. If anything harnesses are safer as if you were in an accident without the oem steering i.e. an momo steering you are more likely to knock your head on the steering wheel with oem belts than you are with harnesses.

The Type R possibly came with harnesses, that i'm not sure on but with their seats i would imagine they did.

Quote Originally Posted by jaffaz32 View Post
    The seats i've fitted are Bride Gias seats.

I know bucket seats arn't everyone's cup of tea and i don't like the majority of them but the Gias are an exception. Anyway i wouldn't want to use the factory seat belts with them as they would rub and ruin the seats. Plus it would look daft having them with factory belts.

I have an Harness bar and the belts are Takata's so they are a good quality harness one of the best availible. They are installed correctly. i.e. they come out the back of the seats and attatched to the bar directly behind the opening of the holes in the seats for harnesses. Harnesses are dangerous when not installed correctly and attached directly to the floor from the back of the seat.

More and more sporty road cars come with Harnesses from the factory these days.

It is legal for a UK road car to have harnesses. The car will pass an mot with them installed.

I have installed the red plastic jumpers on the oem belts when i removed them, i wasn't sure what they were for so consulted the manual.

Could you please explain the method for properly fixing the light on the dash with harnesses. My car must be the model with the SRS option as this only happened when removing the oem steat belts.

Removing the oem seat belts is no more dangerous (if done correctly) and possibly even safer than removing the oem steering wheel which many owners on this forum have done for the momo version to replicate the type r setup. The Momo sterring has no airbag as where the oem does and this is seen as an acceptable mod on the forum. If anything harnesses are safer as if you were in an accident without the oem steering i.e. an momo steering you are more likely to knock your head on the steering wheel with oem belts than you are with harnesses.

The Type R possibly came with harnesses, that i'm not sure on but with their seats i would imagine they did.
    I have no issues with buckets or harnesses, I had both on my car and they were there in keeping with the theme of the car, but I kept the OEM seat belts.

The NSX-R comes with 3 point oem seatbelts, yet it comes without an AIRBAG.

Here are a couple of articles:

http://www.motorsport.com/magazine/f...l&D=2001-02-21
    http://www.dragracingonline.com/tech..._6-hans-4.html

Please don't take this as an attack on yourself, I am only pointing out some facts.

As for the SRS I guess that one is for Kaz.