Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Killed the car

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Killed the car

I took part in a charity track event at Castle Combe in October. Unfortunately, it got pretty wet and although it was quite predictable halfway through the afternoon sessions I hit a slippery part of the track, went into a four wheel slide which became snap oversteers. I was able to correct it but ran out of room and touched the end of the pit wall.
    Initial assessment of the car didn't look too bad. After bending the wing out I drove home and to honest the car felt fine.
    Further assessment revealed a slightly bent chassis leg. (£6500.00 each!).
    A couple of weeks later the estimate stood at over £30K, at which point the insurance company pulled the plug and payed me out.
    The car was auctioned yesterday, but went too high to make it viable to repair. If I owned an aluminium welder and knew what I was doing it would have been worth the effort.
    So I feel like I have some closure now the car is sold.
    Anyway, I am writing this for a couple of reasons. Firstly, to wish the new owner luck in the repair if that's what they do.
    Second. As a record. This is no reflection on the new owner but we all know what can happen a few owners down the line. Especially as this car was unrecorded.
    So goodbye GX52 ZGU.
    Chassis number will follow.

Cheers,

James.
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!

Really sorry to hear that James. How does insurance work under those circumstances? Was it event insurance; an does that mean that you retain your NCD?

3. Default

We thought that was your car, really sorry to see it come to such an unfortunate end .
    I was going to have a bid of around ten ish but thought it'd probably end up going for more so never bothered, do you know what she fetched on the end bid?
    As long as you are fine then this is all that ever matters, you can always find another car.
    Dave.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Honda NSX.jpg 
Views:	619 
Size:	108.3 KB 
ID:	8206  

Quote Originally Posted by Dave J View Post
    We thought that was your car, really sorry to see it come to such an unfortunate end .
    I was going to have a bid of around ten ish but thought it'd probably end up going for more so never bothered, do you know what she fetched on the end bid?
    As long as you are fine then this is all that ever matters, you can always find another car.
    Dave.
    Thanks Dave,

It could have been much worse. The car sold for £14.5K. I would have paid £11K.

Cheers,

James.

m666 edd Guest

Sorry to hear of your loss James. I had no idea this had happened.

Hope it isn't getting you down. Just don't get another LBB NSX as that's maybe 2 less in the UK now!

Ed

6. Default

Wow. make that a big unexpected Wow!!. Other than ' At least you didn't take a knock yourself'

... Not sure what to say...

how about "good you had insurance?" for starters; I didn't when I took to the track... and you were far more reserved than I, on the day.

In the end, it's a good one down. You must be gutted. ..but jeez, dude... we let your take one of our daughters out on a cheap date and look at the state you brought her back in!

-----

Cash is King right now & you just got a wedge... With January/Feb around the corner, you might be able to go whack some desperate soul on the head with that wedge... walk off with a nice deal.
    Last edited by Boomin33; 22-12-2010 at 01:04 PM.

Despite the high cost of living, it's still very popular.

Good that you're ok James.
    Shame about the car but at least you were insured & they paid out. Which insurance company was it with?

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    Really sorry to hear that James. How does insurance work under those circumstances? Was it event insurance; an does that mean that you retain your NCD?
    Thanks Justin,

I had event insurance, so it won't affect my NCB. The toughest thing is going to be finding another NSX.

Cheers,

James.

Quote Originally Posted by Papalazarou View Post
    Unfortunately, it got pretty wet and although it was quite predictable halfway through the afternoon sessions I hit a slippery part of the track, went into a four wheel slide which became snap oversteers. I was able to correct it but ran out of room and touched the end of the pit wall.
    Sorry to hear that - I almost crashed my R26.R on the sharp right a bit further on earlier this year - I am too scared to take NSX on the track - one prang and it is going to hurt. Good luck with hunt for a new one.

James, very sorry to hear of your lost. Good luck in your search for another one. I assume you are going for another LBB?
    1999 3.2 Manual 6 Spd Coupe
    Honda's Finest Hour

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast