Like it or not you can't buy or put together a good quality LHD NSX on the continent for much less than 30,000 euros. So when my insurer offered a replacement market value this year of 27,000 euros on my fully comp policy....i asked them if they would consider some special circumstances and a total loss value of 35,000 euros. In return they asked me to detail the spec of the car and any modifications.

I listed everything, custom interior, NSX-R wheel, alloys etc. My local insurance agent asked me to quantify absolutely everything in order to justify the extra 6,000 euros valuation so i also listed the lowered suspension bits, SS headers and aluminium exhaust, everything under the skin.

After 15 years with Ibex and a variety of cars instead of an improved offer what i got was a very long silence and eventually an admission that they no longer wanted to insure the car fully comp at all. Why?

Largely because the SS headers might give my 20 year old car a 20hp boost!! The fact it will have lost more than that figure over its life was of no interest to them at all. So after three months waiting i now have an offer on the table of a 900 euro premium in return for 3rd party only cover!!! I no longer have an NSX apparently but a "modified"

Lesson learnt by me and beware anyone else with SS headers and all the rest of the mods ......be aware how it may touch on your own insurance - whether you declare them or not.