Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Refurbing NSX's steel brackets

Default Refurbing NSX's steel brackets

On my car, both of the steel pressed brackets holding the top of the radiator are suffering surface rust. Nothing too bad, but pretty ugly.

So I plan to remove them and use a wire brush, some rust stopper and paint (in a flat grey colour).

Any recommendations?

This is on my list to do too!
    1992 NSX, 3.0 Manual, (Was Sebring Silver) Now Kaiser Silver

2018 Jaguar XE, 2.0 R-Sport 250, Loire Blue.

2013 Kawazaki ER6F, Metalic Green.

I'll let you know how I get on after watching some YT tutorials.

i can recommend Rustbuster Fe-123
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

I know you guys want to pimp your old ones, but these are currently £8.00 each on Amayama. That is plus postage which is also £8.00. So yours delivered for £24.00. And they said my maths weren’t gud. Or waz it my inglish?

Anyway, failing that, clean up the original ones then spend weeks looking for the right colour spray paint. Personally, I like OE for these. Whenever I see anything but OE I wince. But then I am full of contradictions.

Cheers.
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!

Hey, Papa L, I hear you. But it just seems to be one of those few jobs I should be able to do myself. So the sense of achievement for me will be disproportionate. I suppose I like the sustainability benefits of refurbing, too.

@britlude - thanks. Will check it out.

A few years back I took all of these brackets to the local powder coating shop and they still look good today ... total cost for over a dozen items was around £40 ...
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

Quote Originally Posted by Senninha View Post
    A few years back I took all of these brackets to the local powder coating shop and they still look good today ... total cost for over a dozen items was around £40 ...
    Did they sand/grit blast as the first part of the process? I'm toying with that for the rear strut bar. Because that's a lot more work than these small plates.

I'll post photos of progress ASAP. After watching a lot of YT tutorials and reading squillions of forum comments, I've taken a simple approach:
    0 - brass wire brush to remove loose flakes
    1 - citric acid bath overnight
    2 - bicarb of soda wash
    3 - water wash and dry
    4 - degrease
    5 - direct to rust paint

First radiator bracket is now back on the car, and the second one is now in preparation.

Obligatory before/after pictures:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2529.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	131.0 KB 
ID:	14929Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2551.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	124.1 KB 
ID:	14928

Some slight paint runs (first time with a rattle can), and I wasn't sure of the best approach for the bolts, so I did them at the same time and may revisit.

Blog Entries

Very nice, much better than expected
    1997 JDM Custom Order AT VIN 1400005 - Stock
    Heineken's Garage

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast