Thread: Wheel offset question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Sorry all, just realised my calcultions were confused by a decimal point on my reply!! Schoolboy error.

I should have explained , the car is on route from Japan and I'm looking to have new wheels with uk legal tyres awaiting arrival.
    I'm confident the rolling diameter etc is all within acceptable tolerance, but I'm unsighted as to how much gap is available from standard wheel to arch outer edge, to fill. I know et47 works.

On et35, the full 39mm extra width is all on the outside of the hub - I just don't know how inset the originals are and therefore if the wheel face and tyre will be legally inside the arch edge at that level.

I just don't want to order et47 and then have to fit spacers!

Trouble is I know nobody locally with an NA1 NSX with standard wheels to check.

Thanks for the help/input

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_S View Post
    Sorry all, just realised my calcultions were confused by a decimal point on my reply!! Schoolboy error.

I should have explained , the car is on route from Japan and I'm looking to have new wheels with uk legal tyres awaiting arrival.
    I'm confident the rolling diameter etc is all within acceptable tolerance, but I'm unsighted as to how much gap is available from standard wheel to arch outer edge, to fill. I know et47 works.

On et35, the full 39mm extra width is all on the outside of the hub - I just don't know how inset the originals are and therefore if the wheel face and tyre will be legally inside the arch edge at that level.

I just don't want to order et47 and then have to fit spacers!

Trouble is I know nobody locally with an NA1 NSX with standard wheels to check.

Thanks for the help/input
    Hi Ian,

Where are you based? There should be someone in your area.
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!

I'm in Newcastle upon Tyne.

I'm in Newcastle upon Tyne.
    Yep, that’s me out. I’m in Somerset :-) I think most owners live in the south-east. There are a handful of owners where I live.
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!

Hi Ian,

Pity we didn't get a chance to meet at Silverstone, and nice to hear of another owner "up north". I don't really know much about wheel offsets ether, and as I have the wider front wings, I was asked if I wanted spacers fitted, but i'm not keen on that idea either.

Cheers
    Jim
    1992 NSX, 3.0 Manual, (Was Sebring Silver) Now Kaiser Silver

2018 Jaguar XE, 2.0 R-Sport 250, Loire Blue.

2013 Kawazaki ER6F, Metalic Green.

If you're in Lossiemouth Jim, you are WAY north. It's normally hard to explain how north Newcastle is...3 hour drive DOWN to Manchester��, but you're about 4-5 hours north of me.

I kept popping across to the NSX's, but needed to be on our stand GTRDC and after Sunday's wine tasting didn't get across to see sorepaws and Kaz!

Blog Entries

For the 'looks', you really need to first decide on the exact tyre and then study the detailed spec.

Same tyre size such as 215/40/17 doesn’t mean the actual installed dimension among all tyre manufactures/models are the same.
    You will see significant difference in appearance depending on the tyre make/model.

Also not sure you are aware of this but there is tiny offset between the R & L wing position against the centre line of the chassis.
    You may not notice it with the OEM wheels but once you go for the aftermarket ones, you will see one side sticking out further than the other side.
    So be aware if you are aiming for the 'hellaflush' looks.

Regarding the spacer, as long as it's from the well-known brand such as H&R, should be fine.
    You may need longer wheel stud bolt.

Personally, for the offset, I won’t go anything beyond 40.
    Otherwise, depending on how you setup the car, you will experience noticeable instability under hard braking, etc

Kaz

If you're in Lossiemouth Jim, you are WAY north. It's normally hard to explain how north Newcastle is...3 hour drive DOWN to Manchester��, but you're about 4-5 hours north of me.

I kept popping across to the NSX's, but needed to be on our stand GTRDC and after Sunday's wine tasting didn't get across to see sorepaws and Kaz!
    Hi Ian,

yeah Lossiemouth is a bit extreme north, however, my car in in Edinburgh, so not quite as bad.

Cheers
    Jim
    1992 NSX, 3.0 Manual, (Was Sebring Silver) Now Kaiser Silver

2018 Jaguar XE, 2.0 R-Sport 250, Loire Blue.

2013 Kawazaki ER6F, Metalic Green.