Thread: S2000 steering rack anyone?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Graves View Post
    Of course, the Evora uses an old Accord rack - a proper hydraulic one. You'd have to install an engine pump somehow, so it might be a bit harder. But I preferred the way the NSX drives over an early Evora anyway. Found the steering a bit slow/heavy to unwind when the tail steps out.
    I fitted a hydraulic PAS rack to my TVR Griffith years ago. I used a remote hydraulic pump from (IIFC) a Peugeot 206, which was how TVR installed PAS to the later Tuscans, Sagaris etc. So I only had to find a space in the engine bay & fabricate a mounting bracket. I then wired the pump to run off the alternator, so it would only run when the engine was running, so as not to drain battery power, when the ignition was switched on. I had Pertek make the hoses.

I know there isn't a lot of free space in the front end of an NSX but there could be enough to package a remote hydraulic pump & then the hoses would be quite short, rather than thinking you have to run a pump directly from the engine.

It'd be interesting to see if an Accord rack would fit without having to modify the subframe, as I believe the S2000 conversion does.
    Wix

Quote Originally Posted by wixer View Post
    I fitted a hydraulic PAS rack to my TVR Griffith years ago. I used a remote hydraulic pump from (IIFC) a Peugeot 206, which was how TVR installed PAS to the later Tuscans, Sagaris etc. So I only had to find a space in the engine bay & fabricate a mounting bracket. I then wired the pump to run off the alternator, so it would only run when the engine was running, so as not to drain battery power, when the ignition was switched on. I had Pertek make the hoses.

I know there isn't a lot of free space in the front end of an NSX but there could be enough to package a remote hydraulic pump & then the hoses would be quite short, rather than thinking you have to run a pump directly from the engine.

It'd be interesting to see if an Accord rack would fit without having to modify the subframe, as I believe the S2000 conversion does.
    From the research I have done, the Accord kit does not need any subframe modification.
    Here is one of the original threads from Prime. Post 171, I think page 7 gives a drivers perception of the pros and cons. They talk a bit about being able to customise the amount of assist at different speeds. This is obviously another step on.
    Personally, I like the idea of the S2000 rack as long as it isn’t twitchy at higher speeds. This inference is that this might be the case. But so far, the anecdotal evidence has not shown this to be the case.

https://www.nsxprime.com/threads/s2k....205188/page-7
    Last edited by Papalazarou; 14-08-2023 at 06:57 PM.
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!

Which year Accord fits with no mods ?

Does a RHD Accord rack fit or is it a LHD ?

I think the S2000 is generally more of a twitchy car than the NSX, mine certainly is, especially if the suspension geometry isn't correctly set-up.
    Wix

Quote Originally Posted by wixer View Post
    Which year Accord fits with no mods ?

Does a RHD Accord rack fit or is it a LHD ?

I think the S2000 is generally more of a twitchy car than the NSX, mine certainly is, especially if the suspension geometry isn't correctly set-up.
    They use LHD racks for both LHD and RHD. I think it’s a matter of testing back to back to see which ones works best. But obviously that’s not possible. There appears to be a lot of variables. I have driven probably 20+ NSX’s over the years and they all drove differently; geo, tyres, age, mods etc. Then add the variable of a much faster rack and it’s not hard to see potential issues. Personally, I like the way the OE EPS on the NSX irons out some of the chatter and reduces the amount of information being transmitted through the wheel. There seems to be an obsession with feel. But sometimes I think there can be too much. If the S2000 or Accord rack can be employed to achieve a sharper rack without loss of high speed stability, that’s got to be a worthwhile mod.
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!

Default feel

With regard to the obsession with feel and my two pence for what its worth, I fitted a wooden steering wheel to my NSX and it feels amazing, the feedback from the road through the wheels to my hands was very satisfying, much more so than the heavily insulated wheels such as the OEM and s2000 wheel. Yes the steering rack still feels slow but the feel is wonderful. Can't explain it better than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Papalazarou View Post
    They use LHD racks for both LHD and RHD. I think it’s a matter of testing back to back to see which ones works best. But obviously that’s not possible. There appears to be a lot of variables. I have driven probably 20+ NSX’s over the years and they all drove differently; geo, tyres, age, mods etc. Then add the variable of a much faster rack and it’s not hard to see potential issues. Personally, I like the way the OE EPS on the NSX irons out some of the chatter and reduces the amount of information being transmitted through the wheel. There seems to be an obsession with feel. But sometimes I think there can be too much. If the S2000 or Accord rack can be employed to achieve a sharper rack without loss of high speed stability, that’s got to be a worthwhile mod.