Thread: rear upper ball joints..

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default rear upper ball joints..

on the jaunt around wales i noticed a knock every now and then from the rear of the car.....

returning to england and the quality of the roads highlighted the issue once again, so a bit of investigation required...

grabbed the top of the wheel. gave it a good pull and there was a noise/movement, got a helper to hold the top ball joint thru the wheel, did it again, and there was a little movement, so wheel off, suspension jacked up, big screw driver as a lever, and we have this...

https://flic.kr/p/2oSgmvs

(not a great vid, but it's awkward levering suspension and holding the camera! but you get the idea) (edit... goddam vid won't link/imbed grrrr)

so as an interim measure, i did an non honda approved mod.... tho i'm sure they use to do it!

off to the local motorist shop, spend £1 on parts, return, wheels off, drill a hole, tap, screw in said purchase, and sorted!

blurry pic
    IMG_20230728_115110 by JON SUTH, on Flickr

close up, in focus!
    IMG_20230728_115117 by JON SUTH, on Flickr

did the other side , cos i had the grease nipple
    IMG_20230728_120536 by JON SUTH, on Flickr

in ye olden days, every ball joint had a grease nipple, then suddenly , when manufacturers decided they were 'sealed for life', they disappeared, to be replaced with the extra expense of replacing what could be a serviceable item... now it's serviceable, and will do until i source replacements...

yes, i know the rubber boots are very tired, i have replacements, but that will have to wait until after the car shows! especially with the associated risk when trying to split the ball joints!
    Last edited by britlude; 28-07-2023 at 02:15 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....