Thread: A Drive By Wire Problem?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

I use the product from OBDLink and the android app ‘Torque’ (paid version).
    I think I got it more than 10 years ago and since then, so many products and software developed that you now have all sorts of options.

Even with that ancient product, I was able to diagnose intermittent O2 sensor issue (voltage shifted from time to time) so the latest ones should have faster sampling rate and better interface.

If your phenomenon is specific to certain VSS, then I agree, not misfire related.

The fuel pump stays in low speed mode at such low load region.

A/C signal is mainly for the idle control module so once outside of it, you should only notice the A/C CL On/Off and not the rpm change.

In order for the VSS to drop for 1 – 2 sec, should be something related to multiple or all six cyl so IG Timing, EGR, etc would be interesting to monitor.

Any aftermarket modifications?

Kaz

No modifications to the car.

I resolutely live in a previous century and do not carry a cell phone so it has to be lap top based. That is why I was looking for a device that I could just plug in to the prot and leave it until something happened. There are a few OBD2 data loggers with built in memory on the market. Some of them are very expensive. CSS Electronics appears to offer one for a semi reasonable price; but, appears to only use the CAN bus - I need to confirm that. If the CSS device does not support the K bus communication then I might have to use an OBDLink or similar.

Since taking the car out of storage in mid April, there have only been 2 or 3 occasions that I have been aware of this phenomena so it is very infrequent and does not persist when it does occur. That is why I liked the idea of a plug it in, forget it and let it do its thing option. However, that may not be an option and OBDLink or similar might be the path.