Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ABS issues

Default ABS issues

Right, I’ve read a lot about various problems with abs systems on the forum and to be honest it’s painful reading.
    Anyway, my last NSX, 33 years old, but very low miles had the chirping abs and projectile fluid from the reservoir. I changed the accumulator sphere, it was flushed and new fluid added. Since then, no problem. Although I sold it, so maybe it’s not. I like to believe it is sorted though.
    So, I’ve just bought another NSX. It’s had a new pump assembly and it’s all been rebuilt recently. However, I now have the same issue I experienced with the other car, less the vomiting fluid.
    So, logically I was going to replace the sphere and see how it went. Unfortunately this part has now dropped into the bottomless pit of obsolete NSX parts.
    Based on this;

1. Does anyone have a spare box of spheres?
    2. If not, does anyone know where there is one?
    3. Was this accumulator shared with another vehicle or is there an alternative? Legend?
    And
    4. Would I be better getting the later system? (That’s a little rhetorical).

All answers welcome except the unhelpful ones, unless they are funny.

Cheers.
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!

Blog Entries

Assuming that the systems are very similar, the BA4 Prelude and the Legend might have suitable accumulators.
    1997 JDM Custom Order AT VIN 1400005 - Stock
    Heineken's Garage

Hi James,
    What age car have you bought as I believe there are 3 different versions? Early, I believe it was updated with DBW throttle so 95 or 02+

I had the chirrping problem after my car was sat for a while when repainted. I followed Kaz's procedure to flush the solenoids which initially solved the problem but I had a pump failure shortly afterwards.
    I found that a CRX assembly is the same and managed to buy a compete ABS unit for £25. The only thing I found different was the plug on the end of the wire so just swapped with the original unit and all was good.

Hope that helps

Olly

Hi Olly,

It’s a 93. It certainly hasn’t done much for a while. So it’s worth a try. Logically I think it’s the sphere, as it wasn’t replaced.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Heineken View Post
    Assuming that the systems are very similar, the BA4 Prelude and the Legend might have suitable accumulators.
    Thanks. I have tried a number of options now and it would seem that none are available. The quoted price from HUK is £700, which is a good chunk towards the later kit. So I’m swaying towards that.
    Has anyone fitted the later system. And where did they get it?

Cheers.

Blog Entries

There's also the option to fit the S2000 ABS but that might not be for the faint of heart .. otherwise, @Kaz has installed the later system and blogged about it extensively.
    1997 JDM Custom Order AT VIN 1400005 - Stock
    Heineken's Garage

Fit the 00+ system, it's a no brainer.
    Just fit the S2k modulator if you want to save a few £'s but you will lose traction control function...no great shakes as it is not great!

Quote Originally Posted by NSXGB View Post
    Fit the 00+ system, it's a no brainer.
    Just fit the S2k modulator if you want to save a few £'s but you will lose traction control function...no great shakes as it is not great!
    Thanks Simon.

Is there a parts list for this conversion?

Cheers.

Been years since I did mine (with the correct modulator), I would say the best bet would be to check out buying as a kit from SOS or Mita. Not sure if Christian at ATR does a kit, probably worth a try too. Unfortunately, exchange rates are not in your favour.
    Well worth doing though, one of my favourite upgrades.

EDIT: Parts list here: http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.ph...2646#post72646
    Last edited by NSXGB; 13-07-2023 at 09:13 PM.

all straight forward, the most awkward pipe is ABS to front passenger side wheel....

S2000 modulator if you don't mind losing TCS, it's physically the same unit, with just one wire position change in the main connector...

adapter harnesses should be plug n play, maybe a tweak for the dash light depending on the original car configuration... and some need an extra connection for the ABS computer reset wire.

think Mita does a kit, SOS does one too, (obvs spec RHD) or party pack order from amayama and the like, but you still need the aftermarket harness adapter.. not sure if Christian at ATR does a kit, tho i know he got a delivery of NSX spec modulators recently
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast