Thread: Bluetooth connection to NSX stereo

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Default

I have a GROM unit fitted to my NSX, and struggled with the same question.

You need to order the "Old" Honda version (MBUS), and ensure that you specify the HON92 cable. This will then plug in to the round multi-pin CD changer socket, either at the back of the stereo or at the end of the extension cable behind the passenger seat of an RHD car.

GROM seem to have sold out of their Bluetooth-included adaptors at the moment, so your options seem to be limited to the USB3 with GROM's Bluetooth dongle.

Blog Entries

Hi, David.

You need to get the M-bus spec product with M-bus adaptor loom that has the round DIN style connector where it connects to the OEM port.

GROM products for older Honda models will state ‘MBUS’ in their model number for both the USB3 and the BT3.

For the adaptor I/F loom, as mentioned by RedCarsGoFaster, you need the one labelled as ‘HON92’

My old blog post should help you; http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/entry.php?224...R-shaft-etc-10

Please note the very short length of the ‘HON92’ loom if going for the GROM products.

If adding optional loom later, you need to carefully decide where to install the main unit.

The audio head unit on our NSX is from Alpine (not Bose) and while there are some differences depending on the country spec and the year models, the command protocol for the CD changer is the same.

For the classic models with DIN style round connector, Alpine was using the single signal line with pulse width based command called M-bus.

If you are interested, search the web with 'alpine mbus protocol' and you'll find lots of examples of people trying to emulate the CD changer in order to connect their own devices to the OEM head unit by forcing it into CD mode.

Please note that Alpine (or could be Honda) on purposely swapped the pinout of the DIN style connector on Honda audio head unit compared to their aftermarket products.
    The Signal GND and R-ch were swapped that if you simply connected the Alpine M-bus aftermarket CD changer to the OEM head unit, both the L and R channels would not sound properly.

As the CD changer, the USA Spec PA11-HON and the GROM products all connect to the same port (at the back of the head unit, behind the left side seat or inside the boot), unless you create your own port switching circuit, only one of them can be connected to the head unit.

You already have PA11-HON connected so without the extra DIY circuit, the PA11-HON and the GROM can’t exist together.

Some of the pros and cons but as in my previous post, it really depends on exactly what you are aiming for.

PA11-HON + aftermarket Bluetooth receiver at AUX port ( still using the same setup on mine for years now; http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/entry.php?144...tooth-Receiver )
    You already have the main hardware so just the receiver required.
    Can’t control the Bluetooth device through the head unit but you can use voice command of your own device.
    Some Bluetooth receiver comes with its own remote controller or equipped with switches/buttons to send A2DP command such as skip, forward, answer, end, etc, just like your wireless earphone.
    Streaming as is or control using voice command or the function of the receiver.
    No dedicated microphone for the hands free call.

USB3 + optional Bluetooth dongle (mic included in the dongle kit)
    Comes with USB Type-A receptacle cable so wired connection can be done using your existing USB plug cable.
    Please check the compatibility of wired connection.
    Android may require App installation for wired connection control.
    Can control the Bluetooth device with the optional dongle.
    Hands free call capability through the optional dongle including the microphone.
    Addition to the main hardware, you need to pay for the dongle/mic kit.
    As far as I know, you’ll stick with whatever the Bluetooth spec of the dongle.

BT3
    Can control the Bluetooth device.
    Hands free call capability.
    As the name stands for, it is mainly for the Bluetooth and wired connection is optional.
    If wired connection required, it will be through the AUX-IN 3.5mm connection sold separately.
    Firmware updates available but as far as I know, you’ll stick with whatever the Bluetooth spec of BT3.

Kaz
    Last edited by Kaz-kzukNA1; 30-05-2023 at 09:59 AM. Reason: extra info about DIN connector pinout, bluetooth receiver info

As always Kaz, an amazing response. Very many thanks.

David
    1999 3.2 Manual NA2 Targa in Formula Red