Thread: Boot Hinges - Broken

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

It's the LH hinge that has fatigued & if I move the lid again, I think it will finally snap. The RH hinge has signs of fatiguing, as there is a crack in the paint.
    Wix

This made me go out and look at the hinges on my 2000. On my right hinge, there is no crack in the hinge metal; but, a small piece of the paint had flaked off at the exact spot where wixer experienced the crack in the hinge. It is not uncommon for surface coatings to spall when the underlaying structure is being strained under stress. Makes me wonder if I should purchase a new hinge and a can of custom mix paint to match it up.

Has anybody attempted a repair of the cracked hinge? Looks like a rather fiddly area to do a repair.

Managed to buy some secondhand hinges off Ebay for £70, not ideal but I didn't want the car off the road, while I waited for new hinges from Amayama & getting them painted, will do this over the winter, as this year might be the year I actually get the car painted a single shade of red

The hinges, as you can see are the dark purple colour Midnight Pearl and weirdly, don't really look out of place on a red car.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220815_171554.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	14669
    This is the broken LH hinge, I may see if I can get it repaired & possibly re-inforced with a small piece of aluminium welded to both sides of the fracture.

Name:	20220815_171533.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	14668

Name:	20220815_171516.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	21.8 KB 
ID:	14667

Name:	20220815_171559.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	14666
    Wix

Quote Originally Posted by wixer View Post
    This is the broken LH hinge, I may see if I can get it repaired & possibly re-inforced with a small piece of aluminium welded to both sides of the fracture.

Name:	20220815_171533.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	14668
    When I went out to look at my hinges, I did the magnet test. The hinges on my car are definitely steel which is why I was wondering whether anybody had attempted a repair.

Quote Originally Posted by Old guy View Post
    When I went out to look at my hinges, I did the magnet test. The hinges on my car are definitely steel which is why I was wondering whether anybody had attempted a repair.
    I assumed they were aluminium without thinking about it but they are steel, which will make a repair an easier thing to do. Pity I gave my MIG welder away.....
    Wix

Just had a peek at mine which seem all good.
    I'm assuming some preventative maintenance would be to lube the hinges with some oil.
    Just did mine anyway, embarrassingly the first time in 19 years of ownership!

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by NSXGB View Post
    I'm assuming some preventative maintenance would be to lube the hinges with some oil.
    I'm going to do mine right now!

Quote Originally Posted by NSXGB View Post
    I went a bit mad with white lithium grease when I got mine.

But that was over a decade ago!

Similarly with the silicone & rubber lubricant for the seals.

This sort of stuff used to appear in (now vintage) car handbooks. Who now lubricates their door hinges & retaining straps, etc?
    Nick

“I find myself irresistibly attracted to cars that nobody else buys. The NSX is a classic of the genre because nobody buys it and yet it’s a fantastic car. It’s got a wonderful compactness and simplicity and unpretentiousness to it. Honda rudely continues to make them whether we like it or not, even though there can be no commercial logic in doing so — I thoroughly admire that.” Rowan Atkinson