Thread: Brake lights stay on!!!!!

Default Brake lights stay on!!!!!

I’m not sure whether this has been covered here. But just thought I’d share something that happened recently.
    I went to start the car the other day and the battery was flat. So I removed it, charged it and fitted it back in the car. As soon as I had done this, the brake lights came on and stayed on.
    On further examination, I found a few pieces of broken blue plastic in the drivers side footwell. I guessed that this had come from around the pedals, so I took a look and found there was something missing from the brake pedal, and the hole had some blue coloration.
    So I googled Prime and found the issue was a plastic grommet that becomes fatigued over time, say thirty years, and eventually fails. I wanted to drive the car today, so glued it back together and it’s all good for now.
    Anyway, I am going to order some more (new design). So if anyone gets stuck let me know.

Here is the Prime link.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showth...66#post1188666

Cheers.
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!

Blog Entries

Good to know!
    1997 JDM Custom Order AT VIN 1400005 - Stock
    Heineken's Garage

strangely, there was this exact question on FB last week... must be a trend
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

Blog Entries

More and more happening these days….

Just recently, another UK owner experienced it.

And you will hear the same over the forum in Japan, US, etc plus the likes of FB.

Have fun replacing it.

As a quick fix, some owners went for the short bolt & nut instead.

Kaz

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz-kzukNA1 View Post

More and more happening these days….

Just recently, another UK owner experienced it.

And you will hear the same over the forum in Japan, US, etc plus the likes of FB.

Have fun replacing it.

As a quick fix, some owners went for the short bolt & nut instead.

Kaz
    Thanks Kaz,

Soon we’re all going to need a kit of replacement parts to take when we use our cars.
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!

Replacing the brake switch stopper isn't so bad. The stopper for the upper clutch starter interlock switch (at least on North American cars) is a whole different version of hell, particularly if you are not less than 6 ft tall. Even if you have a spare stopper, its not a repair that you are going to do in the parking lot if it happens to fall out while you are filling up with gas. On a North American car failure of the upper stopper leaves you unable to start the car. There are various strategies that can facilitate replacement; but, to avoid having to call a tow truck to get the car someplace to work on, I carry a back up plan. It consists of a length of #14 gauge jumper wire with a spade connector on one end and a butt connector on the other. To start the car, you disconnect the normal starter solenoid connection and connect the spade end of the jumper wire to that terminal. Now switch the ignition to run (parking brake on and transmission in neutral) and touch the butt end connector of the jumper wire to the jump start terminal in the engine relay box. The engine should crank and start just fine. Then you can drive the car home and start cursing as you try to replace the stopper.