I started having the classic symptoms for main relay failure. The engine would fire up when I turned the key, but would stop after a few seconds. After three or so attempts the engine would keep running and then I would be able to drive it. On one occasion I got clickey noises from over my shoulder. I drove it three or four times like this before the penny dropped what was going on and I remembered reading about this problem on the forum. Luckily it didn't let me down but I decided to put my spare new main relay in. I followed the excellent step by step described by Kaz http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.ph...6800#post66800 which he posted in 2010. It now starts like it always did, first turn of the key. Problem solved.

This relay was the original 1996 one which was resoldered in Feb 2018 as a preventive measure, so it's a reminder to carry a spare.

So thanks to Kaz for his helpful post and thanks to the forum for providing the resource which allowed me to find the information I needed.

But it leaves me feeling a little uncertain about the future. As our NSXs age, more things go wrong and parts availability gets worse, we will need to continue to share our experiences. And yet this kind of sharing is diminishing on the forum. As far as I can see, Faceache is no substitute. Pity.

Peter