Thread: Alternator seized solid

Default Alternator seized solid

Does anyone know where I can get a new or reconditioned alternator for my 91 JDM NA1.
    My one is completely u/s and the casing is cracked.
    Is there one from any other car that would fit.
    Hoping someone can help.
    Formula Red and Black 3.0 manual

Blog Entries

Ideally, you want the later spec Denso 120A version.
    Compatible with the earlier models that had 110A one.

Few used ones on the NSX Prime.
    Not sure about the delivery to UK but I'm quite sure someone out there would be able to help you.

Denso Remanufactured #210-0203 (120A) and #210-0225 (110A) are very good and reasonably priced aftermarket ones but on back order for months or even over a year.
    I registered my email address on Rockauto for 'back in stock' notification but haven't heard from them for months....
    They are out of stock at the time of writing.

Keep your broken OEM one as you should be able to recover some of the core parts such as rectifier, regulator, stator, etc and they will become handy for other owners.

If the case was not cracked, I could have refurbished it for you using OEM or aftermarket parts but it's cheaper to buy the Denso remanufactured ones if back in stock.

Hope you can get the used one on Prime.

Kaz

Thanks Kaz, I have had a search around on Prime but can't seem to find anything. I cant help feeling that the cost of shipping for something that heavy would be high though.
    I have seen others manufacturer alternators (Lucas etc) that claim to be for the NSX. Some look identical but they are only 70A and the pulley only has 3 ribs instead of 5.
    Even if I swapped the pulley, would 70A work even as a temporary workaround.

Blog Entries

Just a quick reply for now as I'm in the middle of testing new procedure for working around the car to cope with this virus.

Don't know whether it's still available bur try contacting our member - gcon45.

Seems like there is a problem with 'Send Email' feature on the Forum so try PM although not sure the notification email will be sent or not.

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.php?13797-Reconditioned-alternator-95-gt-05

He hasn't posted for quite some time so not sure he still visits here or not but if you don't hear from him for a while, let me know as I may know who he is.

Some of the posts from NSX Prime.

I only searched briefly and don't know who they are so please take some time to study the Ad.

Again, don't know whether they are still available, post to UK or not or the condition of the parts.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/214546-Alternator

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showth...-92-Alternator

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showth...OEM-Alternator

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showth...tarter-and-A-C

Don't know whether the ones in your post would work or not because rated performance is fairly common standard so don't know why they stated it at 70A when the OEM is 110A or 120A.

The core parts of the alternator would be shared with other models but the housing has to be the same unless you are willing to change the mounting bracket.
    I think owners with super charger, etc are using the one from Prelude or something in order to mount it at different location/direction.

If your housing was not cracked, you could have taken the existing one to your nearby alternator/starter shop to find replacement or even have it refurbished.

The Denso model #
    101211-7570, 120A, CLG18.
    100211-6190, 110A, CLB16.

If you search on ebay, etc, there are lots and lots of alternator/starter/etc shops.

Some of them are very helpful so try contacting them with the above Denso model # to find suitable replacement if you can't find anything locally.

On Rockauto, there is one alternator from BBB Industries with model #13386.

Don't know whether it is suitable or not but rated at 110A.

Kaz

Once again, thanks a million Kaz.
    I will take a look at your suggestions above, I am having trouble trying on my phone so will give it a good go tomorrow on my pc.

Blog Entries

Hi, mart155.
    Hope you managed to find the solution for your alternator.

I did contact gcon45 to let him know that you are looking for the alternator but
    I didn't know whether it was still available or not at the time when I wrote my post above.

He still has the alternator and just being told that he sent PM to you.

Probably you didn't notice it because most likely, the forum server failed to send out the notification email to you.
    Or, your registered email address on the forum is no longer in use.

If you have problem accessing, please send me an email to kaznsxcb-002 at yahoo dot co dot jp
    Please note that the domain ends with ' jp '.

gcon45 is happy for me to forward his email address to you but I don't know your latest contact detail.
    Then, you can discuss the matter between the two.

Please do not post your own email address here on the public forum for spam protection.

My address above is anti-spam one that not even close to the actual address.
    If I start receiving spam at the above mockup address, I can simply throw it away without affecting the real one.

By the way, if you found another solution, please let me know.

I know another owner with alternator issue.
    If you are not getting the one from gcon45, most likely, I'll be buying it on behalf of this owner unless the Denso remanufactured one suddenly becomes available in the near future.
    Waiting for it for months and some people are waiting even over year now.

If this owner decides to wait for the new Denso remanufactured one, I would like to get the one from gcon45 for the future purpose so asked him to put me in the queue but not ahead of you and the other owner.

I already refurbished my own alternator in 2010 at about 128K miles and since then, only covered just over a quarter of that mileage so should still have plenty of life.

Thus, mine is only at medium priority whereas you and the other owner already have problem so at much higher priority.

Hope you will find this post in the near future.

Kaz

Covid 19 appears to have thrown a very large spanner into the Denso supply chain works. The Denso reman alternator for the NSX is not the only Denso product that is unavailable. There is a huge swath of Denso products in their on-line catalogue that are showing as out of stock with no ETA for replacements. I think I may have grabbed the last Denso NSX specific fuel pump that was available in North America. With the fuel pump there are aftermarket alternatives; but, I have had poor luck with off brand fuel pumps in the past so I did not want to deviate from OEM when it comes time for replacement.

Blog Entries

Thank you for the extra info Old guy.

Based on the format of the post, probably the same user on NSX Prime?

Welcome to the NSXCB Forum.

Kaz

Thanks Kaz, I didn't receive an email notification when gcon45 replied to my pm and hadn't been able to check my PM's lately
    I have now replied.
    Thanks again.
    Martin.

Reconditioned alternator now received from gcon45 and looks great.
    Thanks to Conor & Kaz for helping me out on this. I am very happy