Thread: Catalytic converter options

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thanks very much, Kaz, always very helpful.
    I've 97-99 headers plus adapters to mount the 91 cats (3 holes on each side). So any cat for 91-94 should work.
    Those 300 cells are Random Technology cats, they don't seem to like rich fuel mixtures like the CTSC needs. I didn't look at them yet but I think that there's no visible damage. They don't rattle. Power is there too.
    Extended story: last month, they passed an emission test when they were very hot, means idling at 5000 rpm for 2 minutes and test it then at 2500 rpm. But at idle again they cool down after some time. The mechanic said that these cats show their problem under a higher flow. At the MOT station they did test the cats too but they gave up after a while. CO was around 0.4-0.5 %vol. Lambda was 1. So I need new cats.
    A certificate is not really needed but would be nice of course. I know that you have to use OEM cats in California, they have the strictest law regarding emissions of the world. What about Japan? I could image that it's pretty strict too, no? Is it allowed to sell and mount aftermarket cats? Do they have to guarranty passing an emission test?
    OEM cats are crazy $3000, no way. SARD are about half of that but what about their quality. They're based in Japan I've seen. But I'd only go with these if they're good.
    Any other recommendation?
    Thanks in advance.

Hi Gold,

I have SARD cats, they pass SMOG here (Portugal) no problem. Regarding durability I can't comment as I have them installed for only 3 years... they do look very well crafted. SARD cats come with a certificate for emissions but is all in japanese... so probably not very useful here in Europe.

Regards,
    Bruno

Quote Originally Posted by goldnsx View Post
    Thanks very much, Kaz, always very helpful.
    I've 97-99 headers plus adapters to mount the 91 cats (3 holes on each side). So any cat for 91-94 should work.
    Those 300 cells are Random Technology cats, they don't seem to like rich fuel mixtures like the CTSC needs. I didn't look at them yet but I think that there's no visible damage. They don't rattle. Power is there too.
    Extended story: last month, they passed an emission test when they were very hot, means idling at 5000 rpm for 2 minutes and test it then at 2500 rpm. But at idle again they cool down after some time. The mechanic said that these cats show their problem under a higher flow. At the MOT station they did test the cats too but they gave up after a while. CO was around 0.4-0.5 %vol. Lambda was 1. So I need new cats.
    A certificate is not really needed but would be nice of course. I know that you have to use OEM cats in California, they have the strictest law regarding emissions of the world. What about Japan? I could image that it's pretty strict too, no? Is it allowed to sell and mount aftermarket cats? Do they have to guarranty passing an emission test?
    OEM cats are crazy $3000, no way. SARD are about half of that but what about their quality. They're based in Japan I've seen. But I'd only go with these if they're good.
    Any other recommendation?
    Thanks in advance.