Thread: 1991 NSX V's 2019 Civic type R. A really unsurprising result.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I drove a CTR a couple of years ago - it didn't feel anything like as quick as my NSX, and it didn't feel at all special...
    December '99 GH-NA2 110 series - 6AS62 Type S in Monte Carlo Blue Pearl

Not all is about being the fastest... there will be always a faster car out there...

In my opinion the NSX is about feeling, the mods i do to my NSX will get the car a bit faster, but my main goal is to enhance feeling, and that is what I search when driving my NSX, the car is special and makes you feel special... It is not the fastest? yes of course not, but it is fast enough, and if you don't know what you are doing it will bite you back, driving it fast is a differente chalenge and feeling from driving the Civic Type R.

Today's F1 cars are faster than the 1988 McLaren MP4/4, but the sensation of driving a monster like that made a professional and world champion driver react like this:

JMO here...
    Last edited by bbvnsx; 10-09-2019 at 09:59 AM.

Actually, I found this an interesting article. In fairness to C&D, their aim is to compare 30 years of Honda car development from the original NSX to the current Type R. They are not pretending that the cars are comparable - how can they be 30 years apart? I have not driven the new Type R but I know which car I prefer - and it's not the one with the greater performance today! C&D imply the same. As an aside, I was driving my NSX along a Scottish B road in the summer and a new Type R came racing up behind me. He flashed his lights and then sat back 50m or more as if to say "Respect. I can easily overtake you but that is the car I wish I had." He turned off 20km or so later with another flash of the lights and a wave.
    1999 3.2 Manual NA2 Targa in Formula Red

"Respect. I can easily overtake you but that is the car I wish I had."

Very nicely put and in my experience, reflective on genuine Honda fans .. whatever the model, whatever the level of presentation/modifications from stock to turbo nutters, they still flock to and want to know what its like to on the NSX.

I made a new friend recently as I came out from paying for fuel ... this guy was standing looking at the NSX. He looked at me, smiled and simply said ... nothing ... whilst nodding. We did get talking, have subsequently met up a few times for drives. His S2k has been replaced by a Scooby which is stupidly quick compared to the NSX, but like your CTR experience above, he always holds back and respects the old ones (me and the NSX) in front of him ...
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

Reading the last two or three posts are experiences I also have had over the years, total respect from everyone and anywhere I take it, I don't think that there are many other marques or models out there that instill such great feelings.

In fact since I gave it my Senna "tribute" wrap 3 years ago I've even experienced applause from pedestrians while I wait for traffic lights to turn green, on motorways cars constantly dangerously undertake me if I'm in the outside lane to get a second look at what had just overtaken them all the while smiling with thumbs up.👍

At the Silverstone Supercar gathering this summer the owner of a Maclaren Senna asked me if I could park my car next to his as in his words he said "as it's the true Senna car", now that comment really did make me feel special about my car from an owner of a near 1 million pound hypercar.

I've had many great cars over my lifetime but never one that every time I look at it I think, WOW!! That looks fantastic.
    And that to me sums everything up about this amazing car.🤗
    Pride.

1992 My beloved Red/Black manual NA1.😎
    1992 Chevy Lumina apv Rockford Fosgate sound system demo van.🙉
    2003 Hartge Mini Cooper S (2 x UK & 1 x European sound quality finals winner) 🏆 

"The NSX's greatest victory was to WIN the 1995 Le Mans 24hr GT2 Class"
    ..............and guess what, it was a RED one but of course.  

Quote Originally Posted by NZNick View Post
    I drove a CTR a couple of years ago - it didn't feel anything like as quick as my NSX, and it didn't feel at all special...

It's on a par speed wise with the NSX

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45lH73kbRVI

On the road the NSX is more of an event. On the track, Honda have done a good job with the Civic, the one downside is that the engine tends overheat on warm days.