Quote Originally Posted by britlude View Post
any updates, or is the foozball getting in the way???
All sorted now thanks Jon but how frustrating, annoying and even embarrassing this eventual cure was.

After all the sodding about with goes along with checking for a big current draw it eventually turns out to be a completely duff brand new out of the box Honda battery.

Due to the fact it came out of a sealed box from the main dealer the last thing on my mind would be to do a drop test on this battery, so psychologically I thought the battery would be 100% perfect.

So after lengthy CTEK digital pulse charges I began to think my charger was faulty but it wasn't.
The ammeter reading of a 4.25amp current draw was in fact 0.425amps as I had the gauge dial set on the wrong setting.

That was discovered only after pulling relays, fuses disconnecting the alternator and checking earth straps, connections and plenty of frustrated head scratching and cursing as I'd also disconnected all the after market electric kit on the car, i.e. alarm, immobiliser, all the under car and over car lighting, amplifier and all associated audio devices connected to it such as Alpine screen, navigation, Bluetooth and old school iPod adapter which eventually brought it down to a more respectable 0.095amps.

At this point with it still not turning the engine over, reading 11.85v fully charged, the green charge cell glowing brightly I reluctantly decided to do a drop test on it and BINGO!!! A completely factory fresh knackered battery.
On phoning the dealer to tell them this news I was told it was impossible and the battery I'd returned 3 weeks earlier tested OK.
I asked them how they tested it and they said because it was a sealed battery they could only go on the green glow through the battery inspection cell and a voltmeter which read 11.95v after a good charge. I asked if they'd done a drop test on it to which they said the parts department never do. So I told them to try cranking an engine over with it and it wouldn't do a thing.
At that point I said I would be bringing back this faulty battery for a credit note to use on parts as an when required as I had already gone and bought a 5 year warranty YUASA battery and it's now fine.
Moral of the story is never to believe because it's brand new and out of a factory box that it's perfect.
The word frustration doesn't even start to explain my feelings 😡
Here's hoping the England footie team don't play the same against the Croats tonight. 😁