Thread: Winter Chassis Re-fresh

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wix, do you think the excessive amount of surface rust you have is a direct result of not having a clutch fork boot??? 🤔
    Pride.

1992 My beloved Red/Black manual NA1.😎
    1992 Chevy Lumina apv Rockford Fosgate sound system demo van.🙉
    2003 Hartge Mini Cooper S (2 x UK & 1 x European sound quality finals winner) 🏆 

"The NSX's greatest victory was to WIN the 1995 Le Mans 24hr GT2 Class"
    ..............and guess what, it was a RED one but of course.  

To answer your questions,

Yes, it is a thing & yes it's item 6 on the diagram. My S2000 has the boot on it, as I gave the clutch fork a re-greasing a few weeks ago, so definitely should have one on the NSX. I would guess that during a slave cylinder replacement/service, it was not put back on.

The rust on the flywheel is probably down to my car having sat outside or in damp conditions, in a previous owners custody and it not been used on the road enough to help dry things off. Some other areas of corrosion I've found over the last few years would also point to this lack of use. The flywheel, although well covered (assuming the small cover is attached to your car), isn't air tight so moisture can always condense on cold metal parts. This is why using your car all year round is a must, if it's sat outside & not in a nice dry warm garage. I keep my S2000 outside now, so it will be used all year, the only time I won't use it, is when there's salt on the roads.
    Wix

1992 NSX, 3.0 Manual, (Was Sebring Silver) Now Kaiser Silver

2018 Jaguar XE, 2.0 R-Sport 250, Loire Blue.

2013 Kawazaki ER6F, Metalic Green.

Quote Originally Posted by mutley View Post

Only £12 from Amayama
    Wix

Quote Originally Posted by wixer View Post
    Only £12 from Amayama
    Absolutely, NEVER go to Honda unless you really have to
    1992 NSX, 3.0 Manual, (Was Sebring Silver) Now Kaiser Silver

2018 Jaguar XE, 2.0 R-Sport 250, Loire Blue.

2013 Kawazaki ER6F, Metalic Green.

Most parts arrived this week, although the clutch is still 'out for delivery' according to Parcelforce & started to clean the parts. Took best part of a day to clean the gearbox, there was a lot of baked on dirt/grease, probably 30 years worth...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211114_154306.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	14369

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211108_122830.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	14370

Need to repair a couple of threads in the gearbox, a couple have more or less been stripped by a prior removal.

Anyone had experience with using helicoils or inserts as DIY ? Not something I've ever used, so be interested in whether it's something to tackle myself or take the gearbox to an engineering company.
    Wix

Blog Entries

Helicoil is good for this purpose and used it at several different section of our NSX.
    Addition to the gbox, the mating bolt thread at the suspension control arm, curved/L-shaped holder bracket between the eng/gbox, etc all suffer from oxidation.
    When removing the bolt, if you felt something not quite right, just mark it so that you can check and deal with it before re-assembly.

For Eng block, timesert is better but it requires extra meat to be removed during the preparation and the jig/die is quite expensive.

For other places, helicoil, v-coil or the likes are good enough.
    Just make sure to check the material of the inserts and the required length for your purpose.

Kaz
    Last edited by Kaz-kzukNA1; 18-11-2021 at 03:12 PM. Reason: typo