Thread: ABS upgrade....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

day 2.... putting it all back together.... ok, i got a bit carried away and forgot to take some pics at the start! needless to say the most awkward pipe to thread through is the passenger front corner..... when the car was built none of the air con system was in place to get in the way, alas upgrading we don't have that luxury, so it's a case of gentle tweaks to get the pipes in, then gentle tweaks back to their original form!

anyhoo.... running pipes and loosely fastening them, just to make sure the pipes are in the right order to go across the car

then from this..

to this.....
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

with the magic of gif..... (as it's still new to me and amazing, tho will get annoying soon...)

lots of pipes...

more pipes (well the same pipes, different angle....)

started routing the wiring loom....
    aka Jonathan!!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

as i'm running the wires, i realise i have a nice 40Amp supply right next to the ABS unit, the one that powered the clattery ABS pump on the old system, so a plan hatched.... as the new unit's motor requires the same level of power supply, i salvaged the connector off the old clatter pump, and picked out the motor supply and earth (pin 9 and 25) from my loom and tweaked a spare connector mount to give this...

(the cable was tied in a more supporting manner once i'd finished fiddling!)

i also decided fairly early on that i was going to use the battery earth lead for the ABS earth point, my loom had the earth leads already around the right place... apart from the one already stripped out and connected to the old motor connector...

also gave the battery earth connector a bit of a restoration at the same time!

AC evaporator looking clean... (double checked!!)

no pile of debris here any more!
    Last edited by britlude; 24-12-2016 at 04:39 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

as i decided to use the original ABS motor feed, i had to do a little relay tweak.... on the original system, when the ABS computer detects low pressure in the accumulator, it fires a relay, and this sends 12v to the motor, running the pump until the pressure is restored. with the new system, the control is all in the magic ABS box of tricks, so just needs a constant 12v.....so...

get the relay...

open it....

chop off the coil (don't need it) and after a bit of bending solder the 'contacts' together....

lob the cover back on, and now i have a dummy relay, that doesn't look out of place in the fusebox!

next step is wiring and bleeding the system (i did a quick bleed, just to get the new ABS pump and pipework to the front wheels and bulkhead primed)
    and fit these....
    aka Jonathan!!

You're a star!