Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: An investment

Default An investment

Here we go on this thorny subject. I want to upgrade my investment by buying a lower mileage example of my wonderful 1991 NSX. Do I buy a low mileage AT (sub 35kmiles) or a higher mileage MT (70k miles). From a driving pov I want the manual. However it means a loan. Interest rates etc could make the MT not the right move. Has anyone an opinion on the likely movement of AT and MT prices. Also will my sub 35k car drive well! Decision time.
    Honda NSX NA2 1999
    The only absolute knowledge attainable by man is that life is meaningless without an NSX

My view is that NA1 prices won't increase much more - the market for "proper" premium classics has reached some silly heights and we're seeing a number of collectors 'rationalising' their collections. If that market dips, then it'll push down on everything below.

So on that basis I'd be sticking with a car I know well rather than an unknown machine with an unknown collection of issues to fix (potentially). I'd also stick with what I enjoy driving the best - NA1s are never going to be cars to make a proper profit out of, so you may as well enjoy the one you've got.

I could be wrong, of course, but that's my 2p...
    "No man with a good car needs to be justified"

Blue '08 FD2 CTR - big, ITR-sized shoes to fill...
    Yellow '96 NSX 3.0 - oh was it worth the wait!
    Black '99 ITR - well, I had to have another one, the first was so much fun. Miss this one even more than #1...
    Blue '03 S2000 - SOLD, flawed but fun
    Blue '04 Focus TDCi Sport - SOLD, very good fun for a diesel!
    Black '00 ITR - SOLD, still missed
    Red '98 Civic VTi - SOLD, probably still bombproof

I must agree with Havoc here, to add my own opinion and some facts.

The classic and collectors car market is now considered by many to have peaked. Major auctions houses are reporting sales drops of around 15-20% with only the very best of ultra rare low mileage examples of Ferrari and similar fetching record prices. Many cars especially Porsche and the 911's everyone considerded to be an investment in recent years are not reaching their reserves and asking prices by keen sellers have been lowered.

Onto the NSX and my opinion. There are a lot of cars currently for sale and have been for some time with ott asking prices, there have been many more added to the UK market by recent imports, especially autos. Supply likely outweighs demand in the majority of cases.

I see no further indicator of price increase infact I predict the opposite happening, it's a market that is overdue a price correction in my opinion and the signs of this are definitely showing.

When the new NSX eventually arrives on our shores their could be more interest in our cars from those who can not afford the new car , which could have a positive effect although this might only be short term ,especially if motor journalist keep making positive comments about the original having more soul. Just a thought. Personally I am not in it for the money I am more into owning a vehicle that is rare. just my 2p...

Regards
    Mark

5. Default

My view is that WITHIN the classic/collector market NSXs are still, on the whole, a little undervalued. That's not to say the overall market isn't overvalued though. Hard to tell.

The new model will certainly give some attention to the original cars and the comparison tests will highlight what a great car It still is. A couple of reviews have already done so.

If you want to own a "standard model" NSX with a chance to make some money, or lose as little as possible my view is that the best cars to own are low mileage, uncrashed, unmodified, UK, manual cars. Collectors like provenance and clean history and they also tend to prefer the purity of a manual in a "drivers car". That's not to say they're the best criteria for ownership but it's what investors want.

Looking at the classifieds not many cars fit that bill. Once you take out the imports, the autos and the dogs there's not really that much left.

I also think that "sympathetic" modifications won't detract from the attractiveness, certainly of an NA1 which will find more driver-investor buyers than pure-investor buyers. These cars are 10-25 years old and OEM parts are in some cases made from unobtainium and in other cases just priced like they are.
    "No man with a good car needs to be justified"

Blue '08 FD2 CTR - big, ITR-sized shoes to fill...
    Yellow '96 NSX 3.0 - oh was it worth the wait!
    Black '99 ITR - well, I had to have another one, the first was so much fun. Miss this one even more than #1...
    Blue '03 S2000 - SOLD, flawed but fun
    Blue '04 Focus TDCi Sport - SOLD, very good fun for a diesel!
    Black '00 ITR - SOLD, still missed
    Red '98 Civic VTi - SOLD, probably still bombproof

7. Default

What would one say the value of an extermely clean 85k 1992 UK manual red/black NA-1 with full Honda history would fetch? See so many models priced all over the place hard to get a true value.

Quote Originally Posted by C2NSX View Post
    What would one say the value of an extermely clean 85k 1992 UK manual red/black NA-1 with full Honda history would fetch?.
    £100k upwards!!!😎
    Pride.

1992 My beloved Red/Black manual NA1.😎
    1992 Chevy Lumina apv Rockford Fosgate sound system demo van.🙉
    2003 Hartge Mini Cooper S (2 x UK & 1 x European sound quality finals winner) 🏆 

"The NSX's greatest victory was to WIN the 1995 Le Mans 24hr GT2 Class"
    ..............and guess what, it was a RED one but of course.  

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Pride View Post
    £100k upwards!!!
    Haha, bit cheap tbh

it'd be nice to get an early 90's na1 nsx for £15-£20k again, as i'd be interested.
    i understand the classic car values have peaked, but i agree the MT would be more appealing.

though i like to see people buy an nsx and drive it like it was meant for, not keep for making money.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast